1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Advertising Banners for critique and improvement

Discussion in 'Art and Music' started by Look to the Left, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Nemuikougi

Nemuikougi Certifiably Eculdian Commission Artist

I'm gonna work on some alternatives to some of the PSA banners, because I don't like the way they look.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Private Lee O'Malley

Private Lee O'Malley Head Puns = -10 to Next Roll Councillor

Hell yeah this looks great!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sasha

Sasha

So I made a couple more banners for my quest (which I really need to update).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty happy with the title/logo part, but I'm still unsure what to do with the rest of the space. Any thoughts of that (or any other aspect of the banners) would be appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  4. "This is your final chanve"?

I definitely prefer the top one to the bottom one. Suggestion with the sword: shorten the blood channel so that it's not bisecting the blade. I don't think that was what you were going for, was it?

• Insightful Insightful x 2
  5. Look to the Left

Look to the Left Hi, I'm Nui here

Don't worry, it happens to all of us.

• Hugs Hugs x 1
  6. Sasha

Sasha

Typo, thanks for pointing it out.
    I prefer the that one too, and no, that's something I forgot to fix. How's this?
    [​IMG]

And the same one but with 'PMMM/Nasuverse' added to give people a little bit more information:
    [​IMG]
    I think I should maybe move the title section up a little bit for this one so that the glow from the soul gem doesn't overlap with the text, but meh.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Again, definitely prefer the top one. It looks cleaner.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nemuikougi

The text on the right needs to be moved down a little, it's either not quite in the centre or the alignment between it and the graphic on the left is a little jank.

9. I'd also suggest moving the right-side text in a mid, to give a tad more margin between the comma (which you don't necessarily need), and the edge of the banner.

10. defenestrator

defenestrator White Knight Waifu

Suggestions:
    1. You don't need to cram in the PMMMxNasu subtitle, the Quest name and the Soulgem already makes this obvious
    2. You don't need the comma nor the ellipsis in the blurb text
    3. Put an equal 5-10 px margin on the left and right. The blurb text the and sword pommel touching the edge of the banner makes it look not neat.
    4. The blurb text is a bit hard to read over the background. If you're gonna keep the black-to-red gradient, I suggest making the font color white with a thin black outline, or something similar. I would also suggest not setting it into italics, as a Serif font (i.e. Times New Roman) in italics is hard to read when it's tiny.
    5. Not terribly sure with the background. It's 'okay' as it is, but I think there can be a more apt image to put there.

• Like Like x 1
  11. How do these look?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nemuikougi

If you move the eyes over to the right a little it will be a little more balanced. It's not quite symmetrical.
    Shed Skin might look better as SHED SKIN.
    Maybe capitalise Quest?

I like the background white, it's nice and balanced. Actually with the eyes it looks a little like a kabuki mask, which works thematically pretty well.
    The serif font is nice, but maybe try http://www.freejapanesefont.com/harenosora-mincho-download/
    too see how it looks with this design.

13. Like so?
    [​IMG]
    Not sure what the point would be, tbh. the previews of that font aren't particularly visually distinct from what I'm already using.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  14. Newest version, with some adjusted relative positioning for the eyes and text.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. By my awesome necromantic power, I bid this thread rise from the grave to fulfill its designated purpose!

How does this look?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  16. Look to the Left

MY THREAD! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The first thing my eyes my eyes goes to is the Ignition title. I think maybe placing it on the left to help with the flow of the eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I did that originallym but the problem is that setting the smaller text on the right, over the glow yellow bit of the background, makes it kind of illegible.

18. Look to the Left

Then move the background, or flip it.

19. TheOneMoiderah

TheOneMoiderah Aggressive Angry Artist Commission Artist

No. That's just bad advice.

The description being on the left followed by the title on the right works much better. The summary gets the reader interested, the title lets the now-interested reader know what's going on. And people read left-to-right. That's a basic thing to remember for any and all designs.

Now, what is a problem is the fact that the text underneath the description is incredibly hard to read, and the title "IGNITION" is in a pretty boring, standard font that doesn't match the description's Serif font. I'd recommend keeping with the Serif.

And avoid adding gradients to letters. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, it'll just look like shit. Like you popped open Photoshop and slapped on a blurry edge to your lettering.

• Like Like x 2
    • Insightful Insightful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Look to the Left

I'm a bit rusty since I haven't used my memories of Graphic arts. Srly need to review them...

21. TheOneMoiderah

I mis-typed and put right-to-left for some reason. I blame my lack of sleep >_>

But yeah, people always look at things from the top left to the bottom right.

22. "incredibly" as in you can't read it or "incredibly" as in not as easy as the rest? Because if it's the latter that's intentional.

23. Look to the Left

Now I remember a bit of advice from my teacher. A part of graphic design is controlling where the reader's eye goes. In order to do so, you need to understand what attracts the focus and how things like lines, colour and even which side of the page does that.

The main reason why I said to put the title on the left is because my own focus went the the title first then the informations and I thought that would be jarring.

24. TheOneMoiderah

No, no, I can definitely read it pretty easily.

It just doesn't look good. Intentional or not, it just doesn't look good. Maybe you can fade the text a bit so that people will have to try super hard to actually see it? Get the opacity lower?

25. Look to the Left

Anyone know a good fire font or at least a font that nicely compliments the ad?

Hello Internal Ad System Quest