1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Advertising Banners for critique and improvement

Discussion in 'Art and Music' started by Look to the Left, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Muphrid

Muphrid Star of the Lancer

Yeah, I think that's getting pretty close to what I want to do. I actually intended the parallelograms to evoke the Nerv style screens while being able to fit the major elements inside them. I think your idea of using Nerv-ish elements as background instead makes more sense.

I'm using triangles instead of hexagons here to, uh, reduce just how much I'm borrowing from distinctly Eva visual elements, and that gets me to something like this:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nemuikougi

Nemuikougi Certifiably Eculdian Commission Artist

Maybe go the magi route?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. waaaaay too busy looking.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  4. defenestrator

defenestrator White Knight Waifu

It's really nice, but it looks more like the Persona 3 or 4 interface than MAGI's.

5. Nemuikougi

[​IMG]
    It's based on this image. From memory this is the look that is used in the rebuild movies.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  6. Muphrid

I super dig this, with some slight reservations: yellow seems a bit loud, for instance.

Incorporating some elements I want (would rather use green in the color scheme because the Eva-14 is green), I get something like this:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. is the vertical line in the lillith mask supposed to look like a separate piece from the triangle?

8. Muphrid

No, I've removed this in my vector but neglected to update this png.

9. defenestrator

Just something to consider for your design: Spacing.
    [​IMG]

Adding a few pixels around the text (by shrinking and/or repositioning) will make it look less cramped.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Nemuikougi

Could I get some concrit on these?

I've been asked to make a banner for the artist registry.

11. I like the second and last ones the most.
    Also what font is that for "artist"?

12. Nemuikougi

It's a slightly modified version of Scriptina Font | dafont.com

13. defenestrator

I like the 4th one best. Though you know how OCD I can get with spacing :V I also like the Scriptina font choice, but it feels like it disappears if the other text are too thick compared to it (i.e. the first one) , or if its too small and has a background (last one). Maybe see how it looks like if you add a 1 px outline on it? I played around with the layout a bit, maybe try this arrangement too?

The second one could also work if you increase the font size difference between the two lines, so it's clear which is the main text. Maybe try adding a background too?

• Like Like x 1
  14. So I'm trying to design a banner for an Overwatch quest, but I can't thing of any visuals that really say "overwatch" other than the logo, which is, welll, trademarked.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

15. Giant eyeball?

• Like Like x 1
  16. ...no.

• Like Like x 1
  17. defenestrator

Better commission an artist then. IIRC, aren't the characters the biggest draw to the game? Aside from the actual gameplay itself, I mean.

18. Yeah, but the quest has a shifting veiwpoint so I can't just slap a graphic of X character on there and call it done.

19. defenestrator

Well, there is this shot from Winston's cinematic short that seems iconic enough. Like play on the concept of how Overwatch is a global elite force? And I'm pretty sure you can find a pic of Earth from space that's CC0/free for commercial use.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Nemuikougi

You could use the style of the logo but not the actual logo like these things:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What is the name of the quest, if I may ask?

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. That's a good idea.
    Back Together (Overwatch)

22. hey @Nemuikougi you have a lot of fonts. Do you have any suggestions for fonts that roughly match the overwatch logo?
    [​IMG]

23. Nemuikougi

Well, I know the font in game is big noodle titling, and a quick google search tells me that the overwatch logo font is probably a version of Coalition.
    However, I'm not 100% convinced with that.
    After playing around with it I think the Overwatch logo font is probably a modified version of big noodle titling made extra wide.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't spend much time with it, but I think with an hour or two's work it would be identical.
    I'd say either modify BNT to match the logo look, or just use BNT itself as it's pretty iconic for the game anyway as pretty much all the promotional material was done in it.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Working on a new banner for the quest I am starting, Umbra. Never really used GIMP before this (besides making the last banner I made) so I'm looking for any advice you might give someone who's just getting started with this kind of thing. Here's what I've got so far:

[​IMG]

The basic idea i'm going for is an urban/industrial landscape with muted colors and darkness. I'm not really sure what to use as a tagline ("Just how deep does the darkness go?" "How far will you go?" etc) but i'm mostly just trying to think of trying to make it look decent. I'm worried it won't have enough pop, especially since SV mostly runs on dark themes and this is a dark-themed quest with a dark banner. Any advice?

EDIT: also considering swapping the horizontal locations of the tagline and the title. Maybe having UMBRA in the darker part of the image makes sense.

25. defenestrator

Design:
    You really do have to put the subtext on either a brighter part, or change its font color, as its unreadable as it is. You could also choose a better font, and you can also have some variety in it to better convey the tone/content of your quest.

Content:
    This will sound harsh, but the banner tells me nothing but the vaguest idea about your quest. The subtext and refinery photos makes me think this is some horror quest on an industrial setting? Also, just a reminder that you either must have a.) the rights to the photos and drawings used in your banner, or b.) its a CC0/public domain/photo or art asset that's free for commercial use.

• Informative Informative x 1
I just write Internal Ad System Story