1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Technical Modern Equipment for modern day D&D adventurers

Discussion in 'History & Military Discussion' started by FBH, Sep 27, 2016.

1. FBH

FBH Write drunk. Edit Hungover

Let's say you're a group of D&D adventurers, potentially a cleric, mage, rogue and fighter, but the local technology is equivalent to 2016 rather than 1416.

How would you equip yourselves?

2. Hykal94

Hykal94 The Kitteh Knight of Islam

Essentials:

1. Walkie talkies/radios/cellphones.
    2. First aid kits.
    3. Rations/water.
    4. GPS/map.
    5. Whistles.
    6. Flashlights.
    7. Camping equipment.
    8. Warm clothes.
    9. Rope.
    10. 11 foot pole.

Not that different from camping or backpacking really.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. ThatZenoGuy

ThatZenoGuy Residential Sexy Anthro Goddess

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Insightful Insightful x 1
  4. Cloak&Dagger

Cloak&Dagger Definitely Insane

Artillery and Bombers.

Lots of them.

Armies kinda ruin the concept TBH.

• Hugs Hugs x 1
  5. Not necessarily: armies are useful for some things, they're really bad at exploring ruins or recovering a specific artifact. DnD adventurers in a modern setting would probably share more with special forces than main stream militaries.

Though it depends a lot on what exactly the adventurers are going for: dnd covers a lot of ground.

• Like Like x 9
    • Insightful Insightful x 2
  6. ussnimitz1968

ussnimitz1968 Not an Actual Servicemember

Tell that to Napoleon.

• Funny Funny x 17
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Minow

Minow sucking it down

Leaving out weapons, as that's pretty obvious and would depend a lot on exactly what "modern D&D" entails...

On the body:
    --Modern clothing. Seriously, not an advantage to be overlooked. If money isn't a problem, there's a huge variety of high-quality stuff for any conceivable environment out there -- hot, cold, wet, dry, etc etc. Without more specifics to the environment, it's kind of hard to say. Assuming it's a classic D&D "dungeon crawl" sort of thing, you'd want multiple layers of warm clothing, some kind of hiking boots, stuff like that.
    --Load-bearing vest. Gotta be able to carry everything! There's a huge variety of stuff on the market, some of it quite cheap while not entirely terrible. Just stuffing things into your pockets isn't going to cut it (although clothes with pockets are always useful!), there's going to be WAY too much to carry otherwise.
    --Protection. Helmets, or some other sort of head protection, even if rather light. VERY useful if you're in a dungeon crawl, especially if you're tall! Also crucial for mounting flashlights and headsets. Along similar lines, knee & elbow pads are conceivably useful gear if wandering around unknown places in the dark while wearing heavy loads. Body armor too, although also quite expensive for high-quality versions, and very heavy for complete protection.
    --Communication. Cellphones are useful for a variety of reasons, and in a pinch nowadays I'm sure there's apps that imitate radio systems along with headsets. Richer adventurers are still likely to shell out for a proper radio net as well though, with some sort of head-mounted mic and whatnot.
    --Illumination. A good flashlight is a must. Possibly another flashlight on your weapon. Electric lanterns for when you're setting up camp or doing something that needs area illumination. One of your flashlights should prolly be a headlamp for hands-off use. Also, chemlight sticks are a definite consideration, for marking areas or paths, or for hanging on your own gear to ID yourself.
    ----Night vision. It can quickly get extremely expensive, but possibly worth it if you're going somewhere underground, or regularly operate in the dark, and don't want to be detected easily as you can be with flashlights.
    ----Binoculars. Like many other things, situation-dependent, and can range from cheap crap to very fancy devices with laser rangefinders or integrated night-vision.
    --Navigation. Cellphones can again do double-duty here; adventurers with more money or who are less trusting of consumer electronics may want dedicated GPS map systems. And, of course, in a pinch nothing beats a good ol' paper map, especially when laminated so that when you fall into an underground stream it isn't useless. Markers for plotting on the map; a lensatic compass as well.
    --First aid. Some sort of first-aid pouch with the basics -- tourniquet, bandages, quick-clotting compounds. Someone (the cleric?) should prolly have a larger dedicated medical bag, with a lot more stuff in it. I was never a medic, so i can't be arsed to find and list it all, but I'm sure you can somewhere.
    --Hydration. A camelbak or similar item is the preferred option here; it lets you carry your water, and a lot of it, in a very efficient way, and then drink it hands-free. You prolly don't want it to be your only source of water, though; so carrying a more traditional canteen to top it up, with an attached metal cup (very useful for heating drinks!) is a good idea too.
    --Spares. Batteries are prolly the biggest issue here, depending on what sort of gadgets you're carrying. If you're on a budget and cellphones are doing duty as your comms and navigational gear, it might be some kind of recharging device. But also extra parts and whatnot for anything else you're carrying that needs them -- a sewing kit, perhaps.
    --Documentation. Notebook and pens, possibly waterproof or fancy. Cellphones can also be used for recording stuff -- both taking notes and pictures or video -- but if you're worried about battery life or damage to it then physical backups are always a good idea. Possibly a camera as well? Depends on your mission. You might even want head-mounted cameras like a GoPro.
    --Tools. Multi-tools with pliers, knife blade, can opener, etc are a must-have for all sorts of basic tasks and maintenance. A good knife -- not necessarily a fighting one, either -- is also crucial. Big Fightan Knievs are fun, albeit overrated; but the kind of people who go D&D adventuring are prolly also the kind of people that are suckers for them. Fire-starting equipment like a lighter, matches in a waterproof container, or a flint & steel, if you're planning on being out in the serious wilderness. Cleaning items maintenance equipment for any weapons you have. Lock picks, if you're planning on breaking and entering; possibly larger tools like small bolt cutters, axes, or hammers for the same. Maybe a whistle, for getting attention in a crowd, or signaling people from far away when other comms are down.
    --Less-lethal equipment/prisoner stuffs. You may either be forced to deal with prisoners or have a specific target you want alive. Plastic flexcuffs, or metal handcuffs for restraining people. Batons, pepper spray, or another less-lethal tool for clobbering people. Plastic gloves, the kind medical personnel use, in case you have to do first aid on a gribbly monster thing with who-knows-what gross diseases.

Backpacks... well, this depends on how far you're going from home. Are you running the streets of an urban fantasy city, or going dungeoneering? Something else, like a road trip where you need to bring supplies but will never be far from your car? When streetrunning, anything more than a simple bag with some extras is prolly a waste; for long-term trips you'll want a modern hiking pack or rucksack, stuffed to the gills with camping gear.

Some suggestions for things you'd want in a serious pack, or in the trunk of your car:
    --Food & water. MREs are a classic here, but also somewhat pricey; budget adventurers can prolly get by with canned stuff and other simple staples. You don't necessarily have to have a lot of water on you, if you know that there will be water around and have some kind of filtration device -- these are pretty common and cheap nowadays.
    --Shelter. All you really need when on foot is an all-weather sleeping bag, of a rating suitable for the environment you're in; anything else is pure creature comfort and eating into your weight allowance. If you've got a car, then carrying a basic tent prolly isn't going to hurt.
    --Extra clothes. The comfort, both physical and psychological, of getting to change into clean clothes cannot be overstated. *Especially* socks after some hard walking -- and bring along some foot powder for that too. Ideally these are packed in some sort of separate waterproof container -- even if as simple as a plastic trashbag tied up -- to preserve them from poor weather or terrain.
    --Larger tools. Things like full-sized bolt-cutters, sledgehammers, axes, or other tools for getting into places (and doing various camping tasks, in the case of an ax). If you're rich and have access to more strongly controlled items, explosives in the form of breaching charges, with detonators and whatnot, could be quite useful for a lot of classic dungeoneering! Also other useful items that you want to have around, like duct tape and WD-40 for fixing a whole assortment of tasks. If you have a car, a set of tools to keep it running; extra fluids, a gas can, tow rope, jumper cables, ice-scraper. Rope and a grappling hook.
    --Large medical stuff. Any big & bulky medical equipment that's useful to have but inconvenient to carry on your body, like splints. Skedcos are pretty cool devices as well; useful for moving injured people or anything else you've got of similar weight and dimensions which might be inconvenient to carry.

I'll prolly think of a ton of other things as soon as I press "Post Reply", but I think that's a good start for now.

• Informative Informative x 9
  8. FBH

FBH Write drunk. Edit Hungover

You'd want a gopro so you can put your dungeon crawl up on youtube.

• Funny Funny x 22
    • Like Like x 7
    • Insightful Insightful x 2
  9. Bad doesn't mean it's impossible. Just that it often doesn't work and relies more on luck than intention.Notably, that wasn't a result of either attempting to recover a specific artifact or exploring a ruin.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Demens

Demens

You know the two best inventions for adventuring? Bug spray and mosquito nets. Beyond that and as others have said, basically anything you use for camping will cover you for anything but extremes.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Flectarn

Flectarn A Las Baricadas

12. Radek

Radek Promethean

"This video has been deleted for excessive gore."

• Funny Funny x 13
  13. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

Things I'd definitely want;
    • Weapons: A rifle, for me probably a .30-30 Winchester 1894, Garand or AR-10, my Taurus 4540 for a sidearm and my Kahr 9mm backup, my bowie and finn hawk, maybe a hatchet/tomahawk as well.
    • Protection; A helmet to fit my massive head, and a lighter kevlar vest for dungeon delving, stab-resistant and maybe level IIA for the rest. Elbow and knee pads because I'm going to be crouched and bent down a lot, as 7ft men have no place in dungeons with low ceilings (I've had plenty of practice on the tube in London).
    • Light; A shit ton of Surefires everywhere, D-cell maglite, small maglite, chem lights and night vision if I can get it.
    • Water; 2 liter camelbak and additional canteen, as they say in their commercial, 'Hydrate or Die', and a shit ton of purification tabs.
    • Food; Biltong, Trail mix and probably MREs.
    • Clothing; I've got a bunch of old russian camo trousers, custom boots, tailor the rest to conditions but always my stetson because heatstroke sucks. Good gloves are also important.
    • Misc; Web vest, keep survival essentials in there (knife, firelighter, purification tabs etc). Solid fuel survival stove, firelighters, batteries, maps, compasses, sewing kit, radio, sat-phone, cell-phone, GPS, notepad, pencils, camera, gopro, flares, bootlaces, folding shovel, whetstones, bandana and breathing mask (tomb air is nasty), med-kit, tent, bivvy bag, poncho, gel warmers, rope, insect repellent, fishing kit, Leatherman multi tool, climbing kit.
    • Backpack; Critical, I favor Karrimor but Dad has a Berghaus he loves.
    • Transport; a good 4x4 preferably a Range Rover or Land Cruiser, with a reinforced sump guard and snorkel. Maybe a dirt bike or ATV and trailer. Spare diesel/gas and oil. Full tool kit, including a sledge hammer and bolt cutters.
    • Other than that, I'd tailor my kit for the job at hand; I can carry a lot, so if necessary I'd bring along my .375 or even .500 Nitro H&H for big game, or a shotgun for room clearance or even a takedown AR-7 for survival. I also own a cutlass and a Zweihander, but probably the former as it's lighter and a hell of a lot more convenient. I also have brass knuckles and a trench knife, but they're so illegal most places its harder to get permission than it is for 90% of our guns. Might want a rangefinder as well, but estimation is good enough most of the time, especially with training and experience. Or explosives.*
    • I actually have all this stuff at home. Your average hunter might not but I guarantee they'll have the most critical stuff as would a fair amount of serious hikers. Doubt an orc is that much more resistance to a 12ga than a squishy human.

* A note on explosives, I'm around them fairly regularly and licensed to own and use them in the US, but I wouldn't want to take them dungeon delving for fear of blowing up the loot and the fact that using them indoors and especially underground as most dungeons are is a recipe for disaster unless you bring along an engineer and a bunch of miners to make sure it won't all go to shit on you. If you are qualified for that, then bring as much as you can, plastique if possible as travelling with dynamite is literally no fun whatsoever, especially if it starts to sweat.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. ckk185

ckk185 Crazy Bunny Girl Scientist

Fragmentation grenades are p indispensible for dungeon crawling.

Failing frags, you can pack flash or smoke.

15. Old Spice Guy

Flashbangs yeah, but for actual dungeoneering, it would be terrifying because like I said, underground. I admit I'm no expert on frags though, my experience runs more towards tannerite and dynamite.

16. Nobody mentioned a can of spray paint to mark which corridors you've already gone down in the dungeon, or where the traps are, so you won't trigger them on the way out.

Also, an ordinary magnet. Everyone in this thread is enthusiastically packing all those GPSs. Well, they might be useful in the wilderness, but they don't work underground, and that's where the dungeon is.

• Like Like x 6
  17. ckk185

ckk185 Crazy Bunny Girl Scientist

The Explosive charges on a grenade isnt bad enough to compromise a tunnel. You can throw em into rather flimsy buildings just fine.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Old Spice Guy

Fair enough, with the caveat that it would really depend on the tunnel; can't see it making any difference in say a dwarf tunnel but a hell of a lot in a kobold hole.

19. Old Spice Guy

Hate to double post, but I'd have to say I would also want a dog; a good working guard breed, like a Rhodesian Ridgeback or a Border Collie if you're travelling a lot alone.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ThatZenoGuy

If we're assuming we still have 'lol physics' because of DnD, we could exchange the ladder pole with one made of tungsten...

Anti tank peasants.

21. If we're using DnD physics, that doesn't work: they pass it really fast, but then the last needs to actually throw it to do anything, leading to really poor damage/horrible accuracy. Alternatively, if it's using real world physics, nothing odd happens. Only if you mix and match do you get weird results, but that's because you're mix and matching in order to get those odd results.

• Like Like x 6
  22. ThatZenoGuy

Please no 'no fun allowed'!

• Like Like x 1
  23. stormturmoil

stormturmoil Obsolete Test Cyborg

Besides, if you are pulling this off, then the Enemy Boss has probably already Eldritch Coathanger'd your Peasants anyway...

24. ThatZenoGuy

Wait...What would the enemy boss be though? A tank or something?

25. stormturmoil

stormturmoil Obsolete Test Cyborg

Undead dungeon Crawl: Raccoon City
    Enemy Faction: Umbrella Corporation
    Final Boss: Tyrant/Albert Wesker?

Hazard Dungeon: Chernobyl (get out of here, Stalker!);
    alternatively, Fukishima; Hazards: Radioactive Feral Boars

Alternatively, the Dungeon IS the final Boss: Battleship Raid!

Hello Internal Ad System Quest