1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Discussion Has Worm fanfiction saturation reached the point in which one can write fanfiction without having

Discussion in 'Fanfiction Discussion' started by Tahu1809, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Has Worm fanfiction saturation reached the point in which one can wright fanfiction about Worm without having read the source material?

Back in the late 90's, and eraly 00's Ranma 1/2 was a massively popular fandom. Their are terabytes worth of fanfiction written form back them. It got to the point ware one could in fact know about the entire Ranma story without ever reading a page of the manga or watching a clip of the anime. Ranma fanfiction was so prolific in fact that there are stores of people writing whole multi-chapter pieces of fanfiction without ever reading the source material. Suffice to say it was pretty crazy.

Now for the past two years or so both hear on Sufficient Velocity and our parent site Space Battles we have had a boom of Worm based fanfiction. On the front page of User Fiction alone there are 14 topics about 14 unique Worm stores ( as of this writing). The idea topic for Worm fanfiction is now over 2600 pages long.

I my self have never read Worm, nore do I particularly care too, it sound a little too dark for my tastes. With that said though I think I have a faily strong grip on the eraly parts of the story and the characters there in. So much so that I could talk about the story with pepole who have read the story and not seem completely out of my depth.

So I will ask again has Worm fanfiction reached the point in which one can wright fanfiction about it without having read the source material?

• Picard Picard x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
  2. greendoor

greendoor Losing in avatar related threads since 2012

Yes, but it is usually shit and I wish people would stop so they'll stop spreading stupid and incorrect memes about the story.

No, frankly, you probably don't. You might have a grip on the fandom versions, but the fandom version of the characters and events aren't the canon versions.

• Like Like x 23
    • Insightful Insightful x 1
  3. Cyclone

Cyclone Disciple of Zor

Hoo boy. As someone who has never read Worm but has written multiple Worm 'fic snippets and multiple multi-chapter Worm 'fics (and, strangely, occasionally get asked by people to help sort fanon from canon), I am obligated to say "yes." And to be fair, fanfic is a hobby, so arguably, there's no real minimum threshold of knowledge necessary to write a fanfic of something. Writing a good -- or at least recognizable -- fanfic of a fandom, however, is an entirely different kettle of fish.

I like to think I've done a decent enough job. However, I put a lot of effort into researching specific points, and I employ a beta reader who has read Worm to bounce ideas off of before committing to any particular narrative.

EDIT: Also, you may want to brush up on your English before you try to write anything.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 9
    • Insightful Insightful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. CV12Hornet

CV12Hornet Riter.

Yes, but I still don't recommend it. To go back to your Ranma example, the writing scene is so infected with fanon that it's more fanon than actual source material at this point. Naruto has had similar problems, certain fandom ideas becoming all-pervasive in the fanfiction.

• Like Like x 17
    • Insightful Insightful x 1
  5. Ellf

Ellf Hivelord

I do recommend actually reading Worm. It's not as grimderp as people make it out to be, though it does get fairly dark in areas. It's a decent enough story overall, but until it gets hit with a heavy edit stick, I'd be hard-pressed to call it good.

It's a first draft that is actually somewhat entertaining.

• Like Like x 13
  6. Bête Noire

Bête Noire Abhorrent Anathema

They can, but it's usually kinda bad and more saturated with fanon memes than actual worm. Of course, there are good ones made by people who haven't read the source material, but the ratio is rather skewed.
    (I'm totally fine with meme saturated fanfics, crackfic = bestfic.)

• Like Like x 3
  7. SystemicHatter

SystemicHatter MHat

So, speaking from personal experience - I have only very recently read Worm (finished it about 2 weeks ago now). I happened across a fic called Split by The Laurent, and ended up finally deciding to give it a go. The reason why I was so reluctant to actually pick it up? People had described it as 'grimderp' or 'where hope goes to die', which made me think it was a story driven less by interesting plot and more the author's desire to make things progressively awful.

When I finally checked it out? I was really surprised. I loved it. I couldn't stop reading it until I finished it. Various parts were depressing, yes, and the whole Weaver arc is much weaker than the preceding work, but it was not what I expected. The fandom, or at least the part I interacted with, in fact did me a disservice by the way they presented it. I've been binging Worm fics ever since.

tl;dr I think fanfics can in fact be a good starting point, but there's a reason why Worm has such a huge fanbase. You could probably write fanfic without reading the original work, but you'd be losing out.

• Like x 17
    • Insightful x 2
    • Hugs x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Meow x 1
  8. Huh. Wait, so how did that work. You read the fic and then decided to read Worm?

9. Holy shit. I would never have known that you haven't read Worm due to how creatively you mix Worm with unique ideas. Keep up the incredible work. I was originally going to say it could be done but that I haven't read any great examples and you've just blown that out of the water.

• Like Like x 3
  10. IdTheSwordsman

IdTheSwordsman

I think it has, I never really read past bakuda ark and I am familiar enough with the stages of cannon up to leviathan and I have never seen a fic get past that without massive deviation from cannon anyway.

11. SystemicHatter

SystemicHatter MHat

I was looking for new things to read in User Fiction on SV and was frustrated by the number of Worm fics. Since you'd updated recently, Split was on the first page, so I checked it out. I might be telling a different story if I'd started with a different one!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Oh, good! :)

• Hugs Hugs x 1
  13. If you haven't read the story you can't write a good fic about it. Flat out. Best you'll reach is mediocre.

Write for a series where you can actually get off your lazy ass and read the source and stop filling the fandom with worthless fanon riddled shit.

This explains a lot about why I never got into any of your fics.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Graypairofsocks

Graypairofsocks What is Grammar?

If you write Fanfic with out reading the source material you will end up thinking stuff like this is mostly true.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Not enough fanon.

They haven't talked about how much of a woobie panacea is, or how horrible Carol is. And they haven't made Danny say 'kiddo'. And they haven't talked about how Alexandria kills puppies, or how contessa only knows how to do stuff because of her Shard. Or how Armsmaster has zero social skills.

And so on. Yeah.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Fernandel

Fernandel Lovely Writing, Tendency to Waffle Councillor

Hi. I have written one of the most-reviewed and most-favourited Assassin's Creed fanfics/crossovers on FF.net. Feedback here and on SV has generally been positive in terms of whether it nailed the connection to the original setting.

I haven't finished even a single one of the AC games. :V

This assertion of yours is not true. As long as you have a solid grasp of the tone, themes, characterisation, and setting of the original story and write it with some skill, you can write a decent to good fanfic.

In fact, I would assert that too much knowledge of canon and its details stop fanfic authors from trimming fat and pacing their story right, as it becomes riddled with unnecessary detail.

Good writing is more important than knowledge of canon.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    • Like x 15
    • Hugs x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Insightful x 1
  17. And a list of all fanon.

• Hugs Hugs x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Fernandel

And a pony.

Sorry, what are we talking about?

• Funny Funny x 8
  19. Whether you can write a good fanfic without reading the source material

20. Fernandel

Eh.

Like, here's the important thing that always gets lost in these dicussions:

fanfic is not about canon.

Fanfic is often about changing and reinterpreting canon. What if this character was a good guy? What would drive them to evil? Could one character fall in love with another? How would the characters act if they are in a different setting? What if the magic or politics were different? What happened in tge character's backstory? What happened in-between story arcs?

Knowledge of canon and fanon is nice, true, but it's not the deciding factor whether a fanfic will be good.

I have only read parts of Ranma 1/2, but I've read a few fanfics that have made me laugh out loud and admire its writing skill.

Good writing is key.

Besides, "lists of fanon" are written by fans themselves, and thus equally full of bullshit. If you insist on getting stuff right, you have to do your own research. It's what I do, even for the stories that I haven't finished or consumed in detail.

But that doesn't mean I'll slavishly follow canon. Sometimes canon is fucking stupid and makes for a worse story.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 14
  21. On one hand I often jump into fandoms through fanfic.

on the other, i remeber the horrific pile of misogynistic fanon that was the ranma ficdom

Sure, you can write good fic with limited exposure - but fandom is often a very skewed lens

• Like Like x 5
    • Insightful Insightful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. The title is spelled wrong, it's write not wright.

23. That is really not relevant to the topic at hand.

24. Cyclone

Cyclone Disciple of Zor

Huh.

You know, with that name and avatar, for the longest time, I thought for sure you were Redd984 over on SB.

25. I am. I can't remember really getting into any of your fics for that long? Like I'll cede your fics aren't bad but I always lost interest in them eventually and I think this might explain why.

Sufficient Velocity Internal Ad System Art