1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Discussion Has Worm fanfiction saturation reached the point in which one can write fanfiction without having

Discussion in 'Fanfiction Discussion' started by Tahu1809, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Morphic Tide

Morphic Tide Crazy Brainstormer, Munchkin and Wannabe Min-Maxer

Basically, subjective quality is judgeable mostly by persistent popularity. If it stays popular, then it's judged 'good' by the group that it's popular within.

2. Fernandel

Fernandel Lovely Writing, Tendency to Waffle Councillor

Oh, wow. Congratulations on stating the blitheringly obvious.

It's also still not in any way a helpful criterion to determine quality of a piece of fiction in any clear way and does not engage with judging artistic craftsmanship in any way, so I'm just going to get on with my day.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. It's simple.

If I like it, it's objectively of good quality. If I don't, it's objectively bad.

Quod erat demonstrandum.:V

• Insightful Insightful x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. I'm pretty sure that a significant fraction of the world's objectively best works (even discounting those from before the 20th century, which is another question entirely) languish in obscurity because they're too good for most of the actual audience. And that's not counting the even bigger bunch that never made it to publication in the first place because the author didn't care enough, and/or never had enough money.
    (Good luck finding a printed copy of one of my own favorite works, Guihua Meixiang. [Which, incidentally, is written in Russian, not Chinese.] The few copies that do exist are made by fans who did care - it was never a priority of the author.)

Though it's definitely better to look at sustained popularity (over at least a few years) to prevent the "best works" list being full of one-day wonders (which are those days often viral memes).
    Charlie Bit My Finger, however hilarious it is, was never the world's best movie (or even the world's best home video) - but it probably was, at some point, the world's most popular.

5. Morphic Tide

Morphic Tide Crazy Brainstormer, Munchkin and Wannabe Min-Maxer

There's no other thing that works, because every other way to judge quality has at least one findable counter example. Horrible animation? Half the stuff on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon use bad animation in a way that often makes the series look better. Good plot? Purely episodic series with absolutely no plot lasting more than an episode have gotten popular. Coherent characterization? Yea, there's enough evidence to disprove that on FF.net...

6. Ellf

Ellf Hivelord

Okay, so what exactly does this tangent have to do with the original topic?

• Like Like x 2
    • Insightful Insightful x 1
  7. Fernandel

Fernandel Lovely Writing, Tendency to Waffle Councillor

Deliberate artistic choice =/= "bad animation". "Once-per-episode plot" does not preclude a good plot (a term which you even now refuse to define except through popularity). And fanfiction has fuck-all with coherent characterisation.

You're throwing axioms at me and refusing to back them up in any way, shape, or form, and it is incredibly tedious. And now, quite honestly, I have begun to find this discussion -- if it can even be called one -- terribly boring.
    Beats me, and I'm dropping it now. I never should have picked up on this ludicrous tangent anyway.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Guardian54

Guardian54

I believe that writing worm fanfics without having read Worm is fine now, presuming you start fairly early in the timeline of events and not too much has diverged in the background before your events begin, or that any changes are well explained.

see the mountains of alt!power Taylor fics for example.

9. .... is it ok to just use the setting?

10. Wouldn't be the first time. I haven't seen a lick of Babylon 5 yet i know tons of stuff about it just by reading fanfiction about it.

Alivaril Internal Ad System Quest