1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Interactive Fiction: A History of Questing

Discussion in 'Fiction Discussion' started by Ralson, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Apocal

Apocal Alpha Technoblack Moderator

Probably because you're not really allowed to include comedy in academic writing.

• Like Like x 8
    • Insightful Insightful x 3
  2. prometheus110

prometheus110 Join Cayman-Global & be part of the 1E-9 percent!

Nah, IMO it's more like 75% straight white dudes and 24% lesbians. The remaining 1% is literally everything else.

3. FBH

FBH Write drunk. Edit Hungover

It's also because Ralson has some writing style.

Most academics cannot fucking write.

I've actually never had a problem with people voting for my female protagonists to date guys.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
    • Insightful Insightful x 1
  4. Forgothrax

Forgothrax Crazy Goat-hugging farmer nurse

@firefossil I imagine that some type of automated voting program that was robust enough to take wrote-ins would reduce post count, but not by as much as you might think. @Gaius Marius faced that in Warhammer CK2 Quest-- even with no wrote-ins and survey voting, you got pages and pages of people posting their votes and reasoning so as to sway debate one way or another.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Exposure

Exposure The saltiest pilot this side of the Frontier Moderator

Alert Right, can we not turn this thread into a debate about FBH's quests?

• Hugs Hugs x 2
  6. Fivemarks

Fivemarks Temp Banned Suspended

I don't think I was debating about FBH's quests. I was saying that his quests were an exception to the types of Quests you generally see on /tg/.

7. FBH

FBH Write drunk. Edit Hungover

But my free advertising!

To add some actual content here: I think it's interesting the number of different ways Quests now run.

There's the average "Oh hey it's a single character story ones." There's ones like panopticon which seem to be some kind of multiperson interactive story where participants right updates, there's ones where you run a city...

I wonder how long before people start to monetize them.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Cetashwayo

Cetashwayo Lord of Ten Thousand Years Magistrate On Leave Commission Artist

Already getting there :drevil:

• Funny Funny x 6
  9. Forgothrax

Forgothrax Crazy Goat-hugging farmer nurse

Single-character quests do seem to be in the majority, but there does seem to be some overlap from the council/nation state roleplaying games-- the CK2 quests are a prime example. That seems to be a more recent trend.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 100thlurker

100thlurker atheshtarih and Enemy of the Lie Magistrate

For the audience, this isn't even a joke - Ralson is dead serious.

• Funny Funny x 28
    • Like Like x 4
    • Insightful Insightful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. foamy

foamy Lying liar who lies. Executive Director

SB's roleplaying forum was a. mostly dead and b. not actually called a roleplaying forum. In fact, it still isn't; they just finally got around to changing the name of the other forum people roleplayed in to "Roleplaying Forum".

This despite years of people pointing out how damn stupid "Story Debates" is as a name, because the four people who post in it defend the name like rabid badgers, on the grounds of "tradition!". :V

• Funny Funny x 25
    • Like Like x 6
  12. 100thlurker

100thlurker atheshtarih and Enemy of the Lie Magistrate

It was quite alive at the time that BROB was quarantined into its own subforum and for several years afterwards - its somnolence was only really confirmed in the last year or so. And sure, it was titled Story Debates but the rollover text or subtitle pretty clearly stated what it was for: roleplaying.

I don't have any sympathy for the argument that it was hard to discover because frankly if the idiot that was 14-15 year old 100thlurker could find a frontpaged forum - it's not as if Story Debates was under lock and key as a subforum - no one else has much of an excuse.

13. foamy

foamy Lying liar who lies. Executive Director

Story Debates was dead, even before BROB; it had less traffic than Art did. I believe the only front page forum with less was in fact Tech. You compare to the traffic in SB General-- which is where all the RPs were springing up-- and Story Debates was a mausoleum.

I was, at the time, an advocate for dumping the various proto-Quests into SD and renaming it something meaningful; I figured it would've given SD a huge shot in the arm in the form of new users and cross traffic and served the purpose that the BROB forum eventually did of returning General to its pre-fad mix of reviews and general SF/F news and commentary. The SD people were worried about being overrun by a horde of howling shit-flinging monkeys, which, in light of the history of the BROB forum on SB I will concede was a valid concern, but I still think my idea would've been the best route anyway. :p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Cetashwayo

The funny thing is how close Story debates was to AH.com Sandbox/nation games, but there was very little overlap. Parallel gameplay evolution.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Fivemarks

Fivemarks Temp Banned Suspended

Well maybe if the Story d- Actually, we're getting distracted and off topic.

Back on topic, why do you think so many Quests are based off of already existing franchises?

of course, that's all gone. The old days of story debates like Sphere and Arcana are all gone, replaced by GoT nation game #501 and so on.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  16. NonSequtur

NonSequtur Inaccessible Executive On Leave

It's a lot easier to get people invested, particularly in the initial stages.

Also, worldbuilding is hard.

• Like Like x 15
  17. Leila Hann

Leila Hann Aerocommando

So RubyQuest really was the genre-namer? I always wondered if that was it, or if RubyQuest was just one of several that happened at the same time.

This means that that one anon in the first RubyQuest thread who proposed the name, in a post one sentence long, is responsible for naming an entire genre - no, an entire MEDIUM - of fiction.

I guess I just feel honored to have been there from so near the beginning; I joined RubyQuest after the third or fourth thread.

18. I'm also terrible of keeping track of things!

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. It requires less worldbuilding since the audience already knows the story. Also adds a hook of wish fulfillment since they get to see the characters they know do the things they want.

Even if 90% of it is original content, that veneer of familiarity brings people in.

• Like Like x 8
  20. Cetashwayo

GoT nation games are only a small subset of NGs and were never really that big of a draw. Most of them right now have overlap of players. AH.com's nation games were always historical ones with the occasional fantasy or famously a recent attempt a space setting that failed after its GM disappeared twice. But there's a space game running right now set in a fairly unique setting based around colonizing the solar system.

There's more variation than you would think.

• Like Like x 1
  21. MJ12 Commando

MJ12 Commando Shadow Cabal Barristerminator

Bullshit. I've had someone argue that the death penalty isn't cruel, isn't unusual, and isn't a punishment. Fucking comedy gold.

• Funny Funny x 21
    • Informative Informative x 9
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
  22. Cetashwayo

Academic writing has plenty of comedy. I saw a dude cite SNL when discussing Tutankhamen. You just have to be a good writer, which sadly many academicians are not. And even then, a lot of the subject matter they're writing about it doesn't endear itself as well to hilarity. Obsure history topics especially can be dense as hell.

• Insightful Insightful x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  23. EarthScorpion

EarthScorpion CR of the Thrown

Panopticon is a... hmm, extreme end of the spectrum which comes from the cross-breeding with both traditional RPGs and fanfiction in the SB/SV community. Symptoms of quests which tend towards this end of the spectrum include long (1000-2000+ word) updates which are less frequent, a more narrative style of play, and involvement of players with fanfiction backgrounds who produce narrative write-ins as a tool for persuasion and vote-buying.

Panopticon additionally has something @Eukie talked about with me, and that's that early D&D actually was intended for troupe-style play, where each player controlled several NPCs. Panopticon sort of stumbled into it when the party NPCs started pretty strongly acquiring narrative focus and considerable amounts of the early game were "keep your party members stable and useful". When combined with the more narrative background, the end result was that the party NPCs became more akin to the secondary characters in a story with their own subplots and narrative arcs.

It'd be pretty hard to recreate the circumstances which made it, basically because it exists on such an extreme axis of the game-fiction spectrum. The closest I've seen to it is pen-and-paper games run over chat by people who are writers, where the GM and the players alternate producing paragraph-plus bits of text. The fanfiction background of contributors is a common element there.

• Informative Informative x 17
  24. Cetashwayo

I noticed something similar and encouraged it for my own quest, Magna Graecia. Although there's the traditional quest voting attached, there's a heavy incentive for players to convince others to vote for them because split votes can actually damage the protagonist (which in this case is actually a city) and where players can create personalities that have minor if persistent roles in the setting due to the unique nature of the setting, where SIs can exist without being at all prominent or annoying. It's somewhat like an informal council roleplay and takes a lot from both that sort of play, from what I've learnt from NGs, and some stuff I just made up.

One of the things I've found that's absolutely wonderful about quests is the versatility of the medium. The mechanic of players voting on choices is incredibly flexible and it shows.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Tekomandor

Tekomandor Social Justice Gish Moderator

I've also found that rewarding discussion and a write in expansion to listed votes has transformed most posts in the thread into discussion about the vote. It's produced a very collaborative atmosphere, where the thread usually settles into a consensus before they all vote for it.

Snowfire Internal Ad System Quest