1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Interactive Fiction: A History of Questing

Discussion in 'Fiction Discussion' started by Ralson, Jun 30, 2015.

1. LordSquishy

LordSquishy Probably Not A Producer

I haven't, but now that you mention it.

mm.

2. Maybe not discussion, since that's the sort of thing that should happen in thread, but a Quest Review forum would be nice.

It gives me a spot to pick quests and premises apart without filling up pages of the main thread.

3. Pick premises apart?

4. Holes in the backstory and stuff.
    Where 1+2=fish.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. I now almost want to hear about examples, but I do suppose that would have to wait for the thread, wouldn't it?

6. Whiskey Golf

Whiskey Golf Being of Editing & Technical Assistance Councillor

Very interesting reading, @Ralson. I have no regrets spending my time to read this instead of going home. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Cloak&Dagger

Cloak&Dagger Definitely Insane

I really don't like quests. My votes are always ignored, and I don't actually get to do anything.

It's a bit like EVE online: Sure, there are people managing empires of thousands of people, organizing entire fleets for battle without even opening the game, but 99.9% of people are just playing Truck Simulator, IN SPACE.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LordSquishy

LordSquishy Probably Not A Producer

I'm not sure that has anything to do with quests, per se.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 9
    • Insightful Insightful x 4
  9. Cloak&Dagger

It basically is. One vote isn't going to get you far in an election, same problem with council games, really.

Hence why I generally stick to BROBs now.

10. NonSequtur

NonSequtur Inaccessible Executive On Leave

A decent argument, however, can and does pull dramatic changes in the outcome in a way that [x] This rarely come close to.

• Like Like x 12
  11. Cloak&Dagger

If you say so.

12. Zooboss

Zooboss The White Tree

Votes like this one change minds. Posts like this don't.

13. Cloak&Dagger

If everyone always votes plan X and you're always the maker of plan Y, it's not much fun because you don't actually get to do anything.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  14. grommile

grommile nasty-minded old cynic

If you're always the maker of plan Y, you should consider trying to find out why you are always the maker of plan Y.

There are any number of reasons why this could be the case, with obvious candidates being "plan X was put forward by someone who is better at narrative prose and/or persuasive rhetoric", "plan X is genuinely a better fit for the expectations and desires of most of the other participants", and just plain "plan X got posted first" (even a half-assed undersold write-in can kick off a bandwagon if it's posted early in the voting).

The second of these - "plan X is genuinely a better fit for the expectations and desires of the other participants" - is really important. It is hard in any social gaming environment to have a good time if your expectations and desires don't mesh well with other people's.

• Like Like x 10
  15. Cloak&Dagger

Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I would love that, to be honest. Like, I have one ongoing quest that isn't deadsies, and I have no idea if it's actually GOOD or not. I mean, it's active, people vote and discuss, but I have no clue whether thats because the quest is quality or if the premisis is sufficently novel.

17. Cetashwayo

Cetashwayo Lord of Ten Thousand Years Magistrate On Leave Commission Artist

Actually, @Ralson, you missed a forum that hosted art quests and still does: The MSPA Forums!

It's actually where I learnt about the quest format. There are a ton of fan-made "adventures" which are really quests in MSPA format.

18. Ralson

Ralson Horrible Cat

I totally mentioned MSPFA, and put it on the chart.

I should do more than mention, though. While a lot of the content is like, edited MSPA sprites, a lot of good stuff comes from there, including properties like Prequel and Kill Six Billion Demons.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Cetashwayo

Cetashwayo Lord of Ten Thousand Years Magistrate On Leave Commission Artist

Yeah, that's why I brought it up. If it was all just derivative I wouldn't mention it, but I actually briefly ran a mapquest city builder (hmm wonder if that idea stayed around) there and got a pretty good reception.

20. There's no actual thread up for it, but I would use it for something like this:
    Setting: Somewhat generic. Don't worry, that doesn't mean it is bad. It just means that (unless you do a lot more world-building) you shouldn't expect your world to be what carries the quest. The bits you have made (Nightmare mechanics) are pretty interesting.

Themes: Sadness, the negative feelings lingering, etc. You've made it work pretty well.

Current Plotline: I like you playing with the threads of the past and the Time-girl given quest, but you don't seem to have anything all that substantial. No world/setting/whatever defining plot seems to be in the works for Rusty.

Characters: Not bad. They don't feel like fully fleshed out beings, but don't fall flat the way some quest characters do.

GM style: Your writing is fine, but you're handing out powerups much too quickly. If you think the players need it, then just give it to them as a bundle between major events. If not, then make it so that power is something harder earned, not just deposited at random. For example, getting a powerboost after the identity fight thing would have been good. Randomly getting it in the sewer? not so much.
    One other think you could work on is emotion. You've had a couple posts that were objectively sad but you haven't managed to get any emotional response out of me. Well placed music is good for this, since it allows you to shift the player's context and mood.
    If you aren't going to use music, but still want to hit us with feels, you need to build up more of a rapport between the player and the sad character/situation. Make us invested, so the sucker punch actually hurts rather than perturb.

Speed v. Content: You aren't anything exceptional on the scale of denseness/posting speed. Your updates aren't all that fleshed out, and you only seem to update every couple of days. With the size of your posts, you should aim to get out at least one a day. You started out at a pretty good rate, but seem to have slowed down.

General: You have omake in your threadmarks. Probably better to just have that on an omake index, and keep thread-marks story only.

All in all, you quest isn't anything special but is still a solid B/B-

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 4
  21. Huh, interesting. You should do more Quest reviews.

22. Hmm. How does Anime Addventure fit into all this?

• Like Like x 1
  23. Bromeliad

Bromeliad But her friend is nowhere to be seen

Ooo ooo do mine do Hymnal
    It's sort of slowed down lately on my end due to discouragement and I'm very much not used to the format of this site

Gotta figure out how to increase my Market Share®

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    • Hugs Hugs x 3
  24. Ralson

Ralson Horrible Cat

That's one o them collaborative hypertext storytelling sites, I guess, where you build a hyperlinked CYOA?

I thought about those, but I had no specific evidence of them inspiring questing. I'm sure they were an abstract influence, in the same way all collaborative fiction is, but nothing I could really incorporate into the timeline... unless there's something I'm missing?

25. Setting: Original, interesting enough that it could carry the quest alone. You're doing a good way of showing it, in that it is clearly a new world but you aren't shoving it in our faces so much as letting it sit for us to see.

Themes: Little bit blurry on this since we're playing a, somewhat self absorbed, wandering gunman. I image the thematics are going to shift from situation to situation? At the moment, you seem to be playing pretty well with life and death.

Current Plotline: We have a clear line of investigation to go on, nice. Maybe start feeding us another thread or two as we go on, so that IC we have another quest or two to follow when we're done with the gun. Nobody wants to get railroaded, be we still want a path through the wilderness. Or do you plan to switch POV with the end of the chapter?

Characters: Nicely done, don't fall flat. Just on the edge of feeling like full fledged beings.

GM style: I don't think I've actually seen you make a non-story post in thread. Don't be afraid to talk to your players, they're friendly. Building a rapport is also better for player retention.

Speed v. Content: Hitting average on the scale, bumped to above average because it is an art quest (a picture isn't worth a million words, but is still the equivalent of tons of textual description).

General: Not much your missing. More text would be good, but for the style of quest you are running that can easily hurt as much as it helps.

JMHthe3rd Internal Ad System Quest