1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Discussion My Boat Is Fight: For all your ship-to-ship combat needs

Discussion in 'History & Military Discussion' started by Dalek Ix, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Threadmark: OP, with useful sites
    Dalek Ix

Dalek Ix Mad Mexican Murdersquid

Since this is a subject that seems to come up a lot in a few threads (I'm looking at you Kancolle), I have created this thread to dump everyone's ship combat discussions.

Resources:

Navweapons.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
  2. Private Lee O'Malley

Private Lee O'Malley Head Puns = -10 to Next Roll Councillor

akatsuki is the cutest dd ever y'all motherfuckers can't deny that.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Insightful Insightful x 1
  3. Burning Baron

Burning Baron The Mightiest of Hunters

Space Battleship Yamato(show of same name) versus Star Destroyer Executor (Star Wars). I'd say the Executor. Because, according to now non-canon EU, it had enough ion cannons to take on a fleet alone. Also, Inazuma is best DD. Nanodesu.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I'll be watching this with great interest.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Private Lee O'Malley

Private Lee O'Malley Head Puns = -10 to Next Roll Councillor

Okay so this isn't the chat lounge so we kinda have to be serious I think iunno it just might depend on the tone of the thread

6. Burning Baron

What sayeth thee, Dalek Ix? What tone shall thine thread allow?

7. Captain Harlock best captain. Arcadia best ship period.

• Hugs Hugs x 2
  8. Burning Baron

Forward Unto Dawn. Fite me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CDOgren

CDOgren

Personally I prefer the Pillar of Autumn

• Like Like x 4
  10. Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  11. Burning Baron

The Autumn was a fine ship, and she had best captain, but overall, she did very little, with regards to the plot, even in the book. Dawn, however, played a pivotal role in The Battle for the Ark.

12. Generic_Generica

Generic_Generica Notice me Senpai~ Moderator

Official Staff Communication This thread is about actual ships that actually existed.

Debates about fictional ships go in VS. Also: some silliness is alright but this is a bit much. Any more than this should be going in the chat lounge. Please keep things serious and on topic people.

• Like Like x 7
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. I have a question related to age of sail era ships, and more specifically to resources on the material.

Is there any sort of easy-to-use reference that would give me the typical number and calibre of cannons on a specific class of vessel? So that, for instance, I could look up "Frigate, late 17th century", and it would say "typically X to Y number of cannons, A- to B- pounders".

The closest thing I can find is Wikipedia's page on the RN rating system, but that has nothing on the typical calibres used at a particular time on a particular class.

14. Burning Baron

Not really. Most of the time, the number, and weight of guns was unique to the ship, especially early on for the USN, and definitely for privately owned vessels. And pirates, naturally. The did whatever.

15. Cannon standardization was so and so, as well. Not to mention cannon could be removed for use elsewhere.

16. Srs mode: Montana was prettiest BB I will fight anyone who says otherwise. Also Hood a shit :V

Actually serious: Were any of the post WWI era BBs outright bad? (This excludes the WWI holdovers, like the Andrea Dorias, the Fusous, etc., as well as ships laid down during WWI like the Colorados)

Listing them out here:

USN: North Carolina, South Dakota, and Iowa-classes
    RN: Nelson, King George V, and Vanguard-classes
    IJN: Yamato-class
    RM: Littorio-class
    MN: Dunkerque and Richelieu-classes
    KM: Scharnhorst and Bismarck-classes

I don't think any of them could be regarded as abject failures or disasters in any way, unlike a number of cruiser and carrier designs.

17. Burning Baron

Well, the KGVs (King George Vs) were a little underwhelming.

18. CV12Hornet

CV12Hornet Riter.

If I wanted to I could nitpick flaws in just about any of them - and I could also list plenty of strong points, as well. Battleship design, twenty-year hiatus notwithstanding, was a pretty mature field by World War II, and most of the disasters were pre-World War I. So, no. I wouldn't call any of them disasters.

19. NothingNow

NothingNow Florida Man

Yeah, you just don't see screw-ups like the Victoria-class in the dreadnought era even. Nah, the really terrible stuff is all Victorian, back when the most basic theory behind what would become the pre-dreadnought was all shiny and new.

Ofc, the Victoria-class are probably some of the more mystifying warships produced in the last two hundred years, just off how obviously fucked the design was, even with like the Kearsarge and Virginia classes taken into account. (I mean I'd say the Novgorod (yes that one) would be there, but that ship and her half-sisters actually kind of worked, and the design did actually offer some advantages despite being absolutely deranged.)

20. CV12Hornet

CV12Hornet Riter.

Oh, fuck, that ship. Seriously, who thought a single 16.25" gun was a good idea?

21. Yeah, I guess that is true heh.
    Hey, it got us this song :D

EDIT: I'm almost certain that Novgorod not only worked but worked surprisingly well for her role, and a lot of the criticism came from people who had never actually seen her in operation. So yeah, the Victoria-class probably takes the cake.

The idea was that the heavy gun would ignore all armor, but, well... I think there was some serious disconnect between what the gun could theoretically do and what it actually took to use the thing lol.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  22. CV12Hornet

CV12Hornet Riter.

I don't know, some of those French battleships were seriously kooky.

23. Burning Baron

Dunkerque. No rear turrets. The Sontarans of naval warfare.

24. Charles Martel
    [​IMG]
    and
    Jeanne d'Arc (1899)
    [​IMG]
    Yes, that is 7 funnels.
    Yeah... but the Brits really should've known better :p
    Sure, the all-forward layout looks odd, but there's no real disadvantage if you assume you're always going to be able to bring the guns to bear unless something has gone very, very wrong, and if anything going very, very wrong means you're fucked anyway. It also let the French pack way more armor and speed onto much smaller hulls than any other nation. Consider Richelieu, equipped with one of the best TDS systems ever as well as more armor than the comparable Littorio on a lighter hull, all for the low cost of a single gun. Maneuvers can compensate for the lack of main armament to the rear.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  25. Burning Baron

True. However, a tactical repositioning (retreat) would mean you would be unable to fire back. That, and only two turrets makes for an underwhelming ship.

Ultra Sonic 007 Internal Ad System Story