1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

New rating?

Discussion in 'Forum News and Staff Communication' started by Pidl, Nov 18, 2016.

1. So, according to my profile there's a new rating:

[​IMG]

What's it for and how do I get one so that I can complete my collection again?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. QTesseract

QTesseract Science!

It's approved. For stories with questionable content, you submit them to the mods. This shows approval.

• Informative Informative x 7
  3. Meaning I'll never get it.:(

• Hugs Hugs x 2
    • Meow Meow x 1
  4. RogueIce

RogueIce Brony of the Night

In every author's career, there is a time you must pander.

This may be one of those times.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Insightful Insightful x 2
  5. Problem is that I'm not an author.

6. RogueIce

RogueIce Brony of the Night

Oh, well in that case, yes you're screwed.

(I didn't bother reading the ribbon text, assumed it was one of those Writing Contest ones lol)

But the real question: why are you so selfish with the Ratings yourself? :V

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. E73S

E73S I've updated my journal.

@Pidl, you know now what you must do.

You must write a short story about wanting to gain sempy's approval, then submit it to the mods for approval.

And then you shall have them all.

• Funny Funny x 16
    • Like Like x 1
    • Insightful Insightful x 1
  8. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect What is Project Zohar? Director

We'd been discussing ways to indicate that a post had sought pre-approval or otherwise received a rules exemption, and a special rating was floated. Ratings are pretty simple to add, so LordSquishy threw one in. If you see one on a post, that means that the user sought approval ahead of time and received it, so it's allowed even if it seems like it would be in violation of the rules.

• Informative Informative x 15
    • Like Like x 2
  9. That sounds like a good thing to announce via the often decried undismissable banner. :V

Though you should of course make it dismissable this time.

• Hugs Hugs x 1
    • Insightful Insightful x 1
  10. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect What is Project Zohar? Director

Sometimes you just like to keep an air of mystery about things.

Careful what you wish for ...

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Fernandel

Fernandel Lovely Writing, Tendency to Waffle Councillor

Okay, whenever it goes up? I'll point the angry mob at you.

Hell, I've even quoted this so I always have this as blackmail material. :p

• Funny Funny x 10
  12. Nervos Belli

Nervos Belli Ordinary Schoolgirl

Cue the rush of submitted smut fics from people wanting to complete the set.

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ars Poetica

Ars Poetica Judaic-Buddhist

You know, in the years I've been on this forum, I don't think this has ever been proposed.

Can we get a mushroom cloud rating? Just, a nuclear explosion?

It'd be called "Mushroom", and it would have as much application as a "Meow" rating... while being ten times more appropriate.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. You could use it on posts which you know will cause a shitstorm in the thread. Perhaps even let the mods filter posts with that rating so it'd be easier for them to do their job?:p

15. Ars Poetica

Ars Poetica Judaic-Buddhist

Or it could just literally be called "Mushroom" and be left up to the interpretation of those who use it. So in threads that talk about drugs, or in story threads that get really weird, just drop a mushroom. Or if someone is talking about something that's deeply messed up, you can nuke it from orbit with a Mushroom.

It wouldn't be a dislike button, per se, but instead it'd be a neutral rating that could unironically show how some posters feel about what's up there. Kind of like a Picard or WTF button that isn't as blatant, with a whole lot more utility to go with it.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Fernandel

Yeah, and here we have our next harassment rating.

• Like Like x 9
  17. Party pooper.:(

Nah, I realise it would be a really bad idea, just as I was against the dislike rating.

• Hugs Hugs x 1
  18. Fernandel

But I'm looking forward to this! If people are encouraged to get their stuff reviewed to get new ratings, that's not a bad idea. ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. And now I'm wondering if submitting a post like this one would get me the rating, or an infraction for abusing the system...

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Random832

Random832

I'm pretty sure that they've guaranteed no negative consequences for submitting things for approval. But they probably won't give you the rating for things that are obviously nowhere near the line, and might forbid you from posting it if they think you're being a smartass. :V

21. Vindictus

Vindictus Monster in Disguise

I mean, even if people farm it, they'll still have to make a full story post for every single rating- And, of course, it will also require actual moderator approval for each, so it's not like it's an automated system that can be gamed.

Given the admins like to promote creation of content, I'd imagine that 'A bunch of people start pre-screening and posting tons of creative writing/quests to bring up their Approved! rating' is not the worst unintended consequence out there.

• Like Like x 1
  22. 7734

We have a subforum for that, so approval need is nil. Mods got the jump on you there.

Seconded with all my authority as a person who can yell things REALLY LOUDLY.

23. Random832

Random832

I think the suggestion was "pre-screening" low-effort posts that are neither substantial nor the least bit objectionable in order to farm the rating.

Which seems to me like an idea that is "clever" but not actually smart.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  24. Vindictus

Vindictus Monster in Disguise

Is this rating even applicable to anything other than story posts?

I was under the impression it was designed for use on creative works, which the mods have been trying to persuade people to get screen early and screen often basically every time the subject of content comes up, but your line of reasoning only makes sense to me if it were to be applied to any potential post ever.

• Like Like x 1

25. My game I guess?

Sufficient Velocity Internal Ad System Staff