1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Non-violent heroic moments

Discussion in 'Fiction Discussion' started by Aleph, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Aleph

Aleph Magical Girl Moderator-chan Moderator

*coughs politely*

• Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Reveen

Reveen Dunked On

I know it's an Adam Sandler comedy, but bite me it's fun.

• Like Like x 4
  3. One that's stuck with me is from To Kill a Mockingbird. (Not marking spoilers for this; it's 50+ years old.) There's a lynch mob coming to a jail to hang an accused black man. Atticus Finch, the man's lawyer and the POV character's father, plants himself down in front of the entrance and refuses to budge for them. Scout, the POV character and child, wanders in where she's definitely not supposed to be and starts talking to people in the mob. Without really realizing what she's doing, she singles people out, talks to them like her neighbors, and the mob just sort of... falls apart. They didn't really think any better of the black man from the event, but it got harder for them to go through Atticus when they were reminded that this is the father of the girl their kids go to school with.

• Like Like x 24
  4. Alex

Alex

while the ending of Nausicaa of the valley of the wind is quite violent the violence is shown to do nothing but perpetuate itself and cause problems, in the end its Nausicaa's selfless nature and sacrifice that anyone lived.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
  5. Is this thread only about violent situations between people? Because if its not then most disaster films would qualify. Like in Volcano there was a tube car with loads of people in it and the lava was coming along the tunnel and a city engineer carried the driver out and jumped into the lava so he could throw the driver clear of it. That was pretty heroic and the 'violence' there would have been the heat of the lava

• Like Like x 1
  6. In Warm Bodies: The shot where the gathered Corpses rally around R to help him stop the war. It's the start of a turn for the better, the exact moment when you see they can make a difference and turn back. Kind of like in Macross/Robotech where the greenskins rebel.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Aleph

Aleph Magical Girl Moderator-chan Moderator

Yah.
    It's aversions of the "solve a serious problem by punching people" moral where the characters refuse to take that option and the message is that violence doesn't solve anything. If the option to punch people wasn't there in the first place, it's not really much of a refusal.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
  8. Yea I thought so, but there's still a point to be made about 'conflict' in general. So you could talk about a romance where issues were resolved through discussion rather than shouting. Alternatively, there are a few things which blur the line between 'punching people' and 'punching things', there's plenty of disaster films where the military or someone tries to solve the problem by exploding it, rather than doing some scientific procedure. Consider, for example, Evolution, in which the military decide the way to deal with the alien stuff is through 'lots and lots of napalm', rather than the scientists with chemicals. This of course backfires and this big pink monster goes wandering about, they try shooting at it (the violence/punchy bit) but this does work. I would argue that the pink monster wasn't really a monster, it didn't have a character, it wasn't malevolent, it was just wandering about and happened to be multiplying at a rate that would endanger humans. So is the scientific solution to a force of nature a 'non violent' means, rather than shooting at it, or nuking it or something.

9. Kokurokoki

Kokurokoki I am mad!

Luke Skywalker refusing to strike down his father, reasserting that he is a Jedi just like his father was.

10. BunBun299

BunBun299 Killer Rabbit

"Everybody lives, Rose! Just this once, everybody lives!"

"Look me up!"

The Doctor stares down a swarm of trillions upon trillions of tiny carnivores that can strip flesh from bones faster than you can blink. And the swarm blinks.

• Like Like x 6
    • Hugs Hugs x 3
  11. Insufficient Dakka

Insufficient Dakka Funpost King

:whistle:

12. Winged Knight

Winged Knight Still just a crazy man with a wolf on his head

I think I have a good example for this.

The Malazan series has a lot of heroic displays, often full of violence as people strive to overcome truly horrific obstacles. However, there is one scene that has struck me the most out of all these moments. There is one scene that stands as a shining example of the power of compassion. That to see true change happen in the world, you must meet others with an open hand rather than a closed fist.

Itkovian, Shield Anvil to the fallen god Fener, takes within himself the pain and suffering of all the T'lan Imass.

To give some proper context for this, the T'lan Imass are an undead species that has existed for hundreds of thousands of years. They have waged war on all manner of beings, both undeserving and not, in the express purpose of maintaining order. They performed a ritual that bound them in undeath so that they could continue on to wage war against the Jaghut, and then eventually against anything else that might threaten the world. But here, in this time, they are tired. They just want their existence to end, to be rid of all the pain and sorrow that has accrued among them for so long. They regret performing the ritual, and now want nothing more than to cease.

Itkovian is a man who has lost his god, for Fener was dragged down to earth. As the Shield Anvil it is his purpose to take within himself the pain and suffering of others, backed by his god so that he can bear that weight. And yet, his god is gone. There would be no one to support him in performing his duties. So he is fraught with questions, wondering if he even still has a purpose. Always, however, he comes to the same conclusion.

"I am not yet done."

And so at the end of the book, when armies are clashing and betrayals spill the blood of heroes, Itkovian sees the T'lan Imass. They, in turn, see him. As one they each fall to their knees as he approaches. There is so much pain washing off the T'lan Imass, so many burdens borne from their horrifically long lives, that it strikes Itkovian like a physical thing.

He takes within himself the memories of the T'lan Imass, and through him they are used to give life to a world long barren. The weight of three hundred thousand years almost overcomes him, but he succeeds. He then says he shall take within himself their pain, and they say it cannot be done. He is mortal, and the weight would crush him utterly. Even still, he embraces it.

Article: Benediction. Godless, he could not give it. Not in its truest form.

But he had not comprehended the vast capacity within him, within a mortal soul, to take within itself the suffering of tens of thousands, the multitudes who had lived with loss and pain for almost three hundred thousand years.

He saw faces, countless faces. Desiccated, eyes nothing more than shadowed pits. Dry, torn skin. He saw bone glimmering from between layers of root-like tendons and muscles. He saw hands, chipped, splintered, empty now—yet the ghost of swords lingered there still.

He was on his knees, looking out upon their ranks, and it was raining, a wavering deluge accompanied by reverberating groans, splintering cracks filling the darkness above.

He looked upon them, and they were motionless, heads bowed. Yet he could see their faces. Each face. Every face.

I have your pain.

Heads slowly lifted.

He sensed them, sensed the sudden lightness permeating them. I have done all I am able to do. Yes, it was not enough, I know. Yet. I have taken your suffering—

'You have taken our suffering, mortal.'

Into myself—

'We do not understand how.'

And so I will now leave you—

'We do not understand... why.'

For all that my flesh cannot encompass—

'We cannot answer the gift you have given.'

I will take with me.

'Please, mortal—'

Somehow.

'The reason. Please. That you would so bless us—'

I am the...

'Mortal?'

Your pardon, sirs. You wish to know of me. I am... a mortal, as you say. A man, born three decades ago in the city of Erin. My family name, before I surrendered it to Fener's Reve, was Otanthalian. My father was a hard, just man. My mother smiled but once in all the years I knew her. The moment when I departed. Still, it is the smile I remember. I think now that my father embraced in order to possess. That she was a prisoner. I think, now, that her smile answered my escape. I think now that in my leaving, I took something of her with me. Something worthy of being set free.

Fener's Reve. In the Reve... I wonder, did I simply find for myself another prison?

'She is free within you, mortal.'

That would be... a good thing.

'We would not lie to you, Itkovian Otanthalian. She is free. And smiles still. You have told us what you were. But we still do not understand—your... generosity. Your compassion. And so we ask again. Why have you done this for us?'

Sirs, you speak of compassion. I understand something, now, of compassion. Would you hear?

'Speak on, mortal.'

We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. T'lan Imass. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.

'We do not understand, but we will consider long your words.'

There is always more to do, it seems.

'You do not answer our question—'

No.

'Why?'

Beneath the rain, as darkness gathered, with every face raised to him, Itkovian closed himself about all that he held within him, closed himself, then fell back.

Back.

Because. I was the Shield Anvil. But now...

I am done.

And beneath the Moon's torrential rain, he died.
    Memories of Ice

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
  13. GilliamYaeger

GilliamYaeger Is it a god...or a devil?

How has Mob Psycho 100 not come up yet? The entire series is about trying to find ways to solve your problems without violence.

• Like Like x 4
  14. That instance came up a page ago, admittedly in a very low word count. Mob's "fight" with Teru also counts, until the end at least.

Oh: The canon Vault Dweller was a Mad Max protagonist, but it's very possible to defeat the Master without firing a single shot. Can't recall if the Military Base self destruct allows for enemies to flee or not, though.

15. Insufficient Dakka

Insufficient Dakka Funpost King

Fallout 1 was discussed earlier, doesn't count since Master kills themself.

16. Imrix

Imrix Periodically Malevolent QM

The Nameless One talking it out with The Transcendent One.

The Kid saving Zulf and, as a result, being allowed to pass by the other Ura.

• Like Like x 13
  17. Joem20

Joem20 Some Weird Guy with Dreams of Global Domination

There is an old Superman issue from the 60s, where Lex Luthor (Mad Scientist Lex, not Businessman Lex) escapes from prison, Superman catches up with him, and learns that Lex just wanted to celebrate Einstein's Birthday, so Superman helps him out by taking him to Einstein's grave. Luthor wishes Einstein a Happy Birthday, then returns quietly to prison.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 15
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
  18. Derek58

Derek58 Rocket Punch is Best Punch

I loved that, easily in my top 3 moments of the show :D

19. BunBun299

BunBun299 Killer Rabbit

"Leaving is good. Never coming back is better."

"Hello, I'm the Doctor. Basically, run."

Yeah, Doctor Who just keeps giving material for this.

• Like Like x 5
  20. DreamWorks's Home, the whole movie. It's about finding the meaning of fighting while not being violent.

21. foamy

foamy Lying liar who lies. Executive Director

Let's try and reach beyond "last decade" here (props to the TKAM nomination above for that as well):

• Like Like x 9
  22. keios

keios very normal

Multiple endings in this one, but there's one where Elodie learns to sing really beautifully, and she tells the opposing king (who has come with his army and has challenged her to a duel) that she sees that his ambition will have no end. Something of this sort. Then she sings to him, and he remembers his children... and decides to give up his quest for more crystals/power and to call off his invasion of her country.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
  23. Kokurokoki

Kokurokoki I am mad!

Martin Luther King and his peaceful protests.

There is also a scene in Enter the Dragon where Bruce Lee's character deals with a racist guy by claiming to show him the art of "fighting without fighting", but promptly pushes the guy out to sea on a tethered lifeboat to the amusement of the sailors he was bullying.

Also Pikachu from the first pokemon movie refusing the fight his clone even after it starts slapping the shit out of him.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Avernus

Avernus Abomination

Nearly all the heroic moments by the protagonists in the Sector General hospital-in-space series; since after all, they're doctors. Violence is rather beside the point.

• Like Like x 1
  25. CV12Hornet

CV12Hornet Riter.

Hercule from Dragon Ball Z befriending Fat Buu, in the process defeating him without throwing a punch. Granted, it didn't stick, but that was through no fault of his own, and it's a great moment for a character that had been up to that point thoroughly aggravating.

• Like Like x 5
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
JMHthe3rd Internal Ad System Quest