1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Megathread PC Builds Megathread

Discussion in 'Computers & Video Gaming' started by Skyllian Blitz, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Skyllian Blitz

Skyllian Blitz Shadow Cabal Member Moderator

The recommendation then would be to wait until you have the funds and time to purchase your parts as tech is changing all the time. A year is a long time in the electronics industry.

2. I am indeed aware! But right now I'm trying to generate a knowledgebase of what features I want/need for the software I want to use. What suits a given workflow best, and so on.

3. It's way to early then. By mid/end 2017, here's what we'll get:

- AMD Zen, my personal guess is 8 cores performance (Intel i7-5960X/6900K) for $500, roughly half of Intel's pricing.
    - NVMe SSD, basically even faster solid state drives.
    - AMD Vega architecture, basically today's $500 GPU performance at $350.
    - Sweet 38" 1600p ultrawide monitor.

By the way, I would recommend setting aside $4/500 for a NAS (Network attached storage).

4. Duly noted- and yeah a NAS would be wonderful, and RAID, in-system or out. And a Cintiq, but my Intous will work for now.

While I'm here, I'm under the impression that there are M.2 SSDs with a dedicated slot on th emotherboard, but are still effectively just SATA- others use PCI-E in some fashion. And then there are either expander cards that create an M.2 slot in a PCI-E slot, etc, which still might be effectively SATA.

I'm interested in exploring the M.2 or PCI-E SDD options, if relevant.

5. Here's a short and dirty explanation.

M.2 is the physical connector, just like there's a SATA connector.

PCI-E is a bus interface, there's also a SATA bus interface, that is the bus through which CPU communicates with its peripherals.

Finally, there's the logical device interface, that is basically the communication protocol which the computer uses with its peripherals. For SSDs, there's AHCI and NVMe. AHCI has implementations with the SATA bus and the PCI-E bus, NVMe only through the PCI-E bus.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LordSquishy

LordSquishy Probably Not A Producer

For $4,000, you really should have more than a 500GB SSD. :V

Similarly, if you're doing real rendering you may want to do something fun like buy a dual-CPU motherboard and slot in dual CPUs, or get dual GPUs, or all of that other high-intensity shit. :V

7. Eh~

For one, there's no need to use the entire budget come hell or high water and for another, don't forget that a new monitor setup is part of the plan and a monitor is something you want to spend a decent amount on because you're going to be staring at it for hours a day daily.

Regarding SSD size: Why?
    A 128GB is enough for OS and a bit of other stuff. With 256GB, space is not an issue unless you never delete or move stuff you no longer need on the SSD. With 512GB? That's plenty of space for the OS, your current games and any (or at least most) ongoing projects.

Dual-CPU setup... unless you're buying used, anything with a decent base clock (ie, good for gaming) costs an arm and a leg.
    Used... your best bet would be an E5-2670 which has 8x 2.6Ghz (3.3GHz turbo) which can be gotten for quite cheap. That's decent, I guess, but of course you're running the typical risks of buying computer hardware second hand.
    I guess here the question would be how much gaming is done vs how much the other workload would be aided by having a 16-core 32-thread machine.

8. LordSquishy

Because I have single photoshop images that hit 5-6GB? Because games these days hit 50GB without breaking a sweat?

Like sure, you can get by with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, but why would you want to if you didn't have to? A $4,000 budget includes plenty of room for important QOL upgrades - like a 1TB SSD and even maybe 64GB of RAM.

9. Jake

Jake

Even for someone doing commercial 3D rendering, 64GB of RAM might be less "quality of life" and more sheer bragging rights. A 1TB SSD isn't a bad idea though; it's probably not much more expensive than a 256GB one and a 1TB HDD by now.

As far as a NAS box and RAID go, that can be done on a fairly small budget if you don't mind grappling with FreeNAS. A PCI RAID controller starts from about $25 going by a quick look at eBay, and you don't need a huge amount of CPU power for one workstation's worth of incremental backups; if I were you I'd buy a refurbished mini-tower for about $150 and a pair of 3TB drives in RAID 1, and use rsync or similar to take a snapshot every hour or so.

10. LordSquishy

I was just looking at a 960GB SSD in the store for about $280, which is entirely acceptable. Going up to 2TB will cost you about $700-$800, though, so that's not really worth it unless you really need the size in one disk.

11. That's why RAID 0 exists (assuming the need is for a large logical partition).

12. my current machine has a 1 terabyte HDD, and it's mostly full right now due to games/movies/etc. I imagine once I upgrade, I will put most of my media on an HDD, and my high-demand software on the SSD. One thing I hope to attain, RAID aside, is having an SSD set aside purely as a scratch-disk for programs like Photoshop.

RAM, and the OS/motherboard to support it are actually very important, because Zbrush specifically loads itself entirely into memory, ignoring the GPU entirely as far as I'm aware.

13. LordSquishy

Yeah, but there's a lot of good reasons to be wary of RAID 0. :V

14. Private Lee O'Malley

Private Lee O'Malley Head Puns = -10 to Next Roll Councillor

So, hypothetically if I were to buy a PC for 500$, what parts should I get? Like I want one that can play Hyperdimension Neptunia without it totally crapping out, (and potentially run the PS2 emulator.) like I don't need 1200 FPS on every game, I'm fine with 60 FPS on Good quality, doesn't haven't to be the max. 1920x1080, preferably future proofed (is that what they call it?), all I really need is the PC part, no need for a mouse, monitor, etc.

So in short, a good (though not perfect.) somewhat cheap PC build. Considering I'm using a laptop with an i5 core (Should I try to get an i7?) with an Intel HD 5500 chip, I don't have very high standards so it doesn't take much to wow me.

I got a bunch of old ass PCs I can salvage for parts just lettin' ya know.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  15. SSDs are less prone to hardware failure than hard drives.

That's also why back up exist.

But still, I'd consider a RAID 0 a work drive, not a drive where you actually store files.

16. LordSquishy

You are probably not going to get anything exciting or future-proofed for $500, sadly. My graphics card cost more than that. :V

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Private Lee O'Malley

Private Lee O'Malley Head Puns = -10 to Next Roll Councillor

Very well then, something that's decent...

18. Here's something useable:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($81.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($17.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($17.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($38.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 370 2GB PCS+ Video Card ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: BitFenix Nova ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($33.69 @ Directron)
    Total: $488.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-06 01:12 EDT-0400

If you can find a useable replacement for the PSU and Case, go for a RX 470. Also, this is assuming that you can get your hands on Windows because if you need a fresh Windows license this will become... problematic.

I went with an older R7 370 here because it's about as fast as an RX 460 but at $90 (with mail-in rebate) it's considerably cheaper, thus keeping the budget under $500.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Tankette

Tankette Shadow Cabal Unamused 5-Year Old

Hrm...

That's not bad! Getting a SDD in a sub-$500 build takes quite a feat. Although, if it was up to me, I would be willing to dish out extra for a keyboard and monitor.
    ---
    I know this is the desktop builds thread, but I'm kinda excited about Pascal, where the mobile version and the desktop version of a card is now comparable. That means I could get an ASUS with a 1070 on the market for about $1,600 and expect it to be good for about, oh, 5-6 years. It could be even high if you have a Sagar/Clevo, where if you have the money and expertise, you could upgrade the card yourself (but that's been the case a long time ago with Clevo barebones). In comparison, my current laptop, a Lenovo Ideapad (I'll never get an Ideapad again, at least the family's old Dell Inspiron purchased 8 years ago didn't start to fall apart within its first year) Y510P started to become outdated within its 2nd year.

Yes, I'm more of a laptop/notebook guy, but I'm excited for the possibilities that Pascal could give us.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  20. Simmr001

Simmr001 I prefer Bob

21. Tankette

Tankette Shadow Cabal Unamused 5-Year Old

Get an SSD. I don't have one, and my load time is sssslllloooowwww.

Is your CPU adequate for day-to-day use? If so, yes, get an actual monitor. If not, upgrade to Intel 6th gen (Skylake).

Or wait until Kaby Lake's out.

22. 1: What's the TV's resolution? If less than 1080p, I would definitely upgrade.

2: An SSD boot drive is the most obvious upgrade. Either a simple SATA SSD or an Intel 600p plus M.2 adapter. 240GB to 256GB is a good size, though you may need to reinstall Windows if that's too small to copy over your current OS partition.

If you want more graphics power you could get a new GPU, such as the GTX 1060 or RX 480, though unless you're itching to spend money it would be better to hang on to your GTX 960 and wait another year.

A Core i5-4690K should still be just fine. Simmr001 could simply overclock it if they need more CPU performance, which would at most require a better CPU cooler.

A Skylake CPU, on the other hand, would require a new motherboard and probably new RAM (the vast majority of Skylake-compatible motherboards use DDR4) for marginal improvement.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  23. Simmr001

Simmr001 I prefer Bob

*reseach* thats a LGA 1151, my motherboard is LGA 1150, will they work with each other?

my CPU isnt bad, i havent had any issues with it ( i think)

1) how would i know?

2) ill look into SATA, the 600p made me feel ill looking at it

24. You would definitely need a new motherboard and almost certainly new RAM. I don't think there's any need to replace the CPU. See edits to my previous post above.

1) Right-click on your desktop and click "Display settings". (Then, if you're on Windows 10, click "Advanced display settings".) Look for "Resolution". It will probably be either 1920x1080 or 1280x720.

By the way, how is your TV hooked up to your PC? Just want to check that you have it plugged into your graphics card and not your motherboard.

2) Note that SATA is just the interface: most regular HDDs are SATA, too.

Depending on how much capacity you want and how much you want to spend, here are a few SSD options:
    Really? What's wrong with the Intel 600p?

25. Simmr001

Simmr001 I prefer Bob

its the first one, its the former resolution.

thank you for the Options on the SSD cards

and the 600p its the fact i have never seen that sort of hard drive before. i thought it was a type of ram stick at first.

Sufficient Velocity Internal Ad System Staff