1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Megathread PC Builds Megathread

Discussion in 'Computers & Video Gaming' started by Skyllian Blitz, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Are you replacing your motherboard because your current motherboard is failing, or are you just looking to upgrade?

Also, just to check, but your current computer case is capable of fitting an ATX motherboard, correct?

As for the parts, as steamrick said the motherboard you're looking at is much more expensive than you need to spend: given that you're not buying an overclockable CPU (those with a -K suffix, such as the Intel Core i5-6600K), an H170 motherboard will work just as well as a Z170 board. The DDR4-3200 RAM is also a bit expensive.

The three parts you listed cost AUD $308.00, $299.00, and $149.00, respectively, which adds up to $756.00 total. For $510 (plus shipping etc.) you could instead get:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($265.00 @ Shopping Express)
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.00 @ IJK)
    Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($96.00 @ CPL Online)
    Total: $510.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-18 18:29 AEDT+1100

Or from PLE, if you prefer to buy there:

CPU: $276.00 Intel Core i5 6500 Skylake 3.2GHz 6MB Retail Box
    MB: $165.00 ASRock H170 Fatal1ty Performance LGA1151 DDR4 ATX Motherboard
    RAM: $119.00 G.Skill 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4 Ripjaws V Red C15 2400MHz
    Total: $560

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. *not

• Like Like x 1
  3. Well, kinda hoping I can get something resembling advice here. I've had the same PC for ohhh about 6 years or so. It was expensive when I first bought it and could handle quite a bit so I didn't need to upgrade. It's getting creaky though, and I think the hard drives going to go boom soon. I need a new one.

I have a budget of $2,000 dollars if needed. Obviously I don't want to spend that much, but that's what I have set aside for it. I need a good, long lasting Personal Desktop computer that's good for gaming. I'm a lazy bastard, so pre-made is fine. I just need some advice on what would be best to get. I can get a dell discount too, but if there aren't good PCs fitting my needs I'm fine with anything else. Anyone care to talk on it?

4. LordSquishy

LordSquishy Probably Not A Producer

What do you already have?

5. Jake

Jake

Prebuilt is really not fine, chum. However lazy you may or may not be, even if you find one that isn't terrible you're still paying $100 or more over the odds to have someone do a job that's only about as difficult and time-consuming as assembling flat-pack furniture.

Now, with that out of the way, what games have you got in mind?

6. Currently have an Asus cg5290. Worked fine for me, especially after I upgraded the graphics card some. I'm in the mood to upgrade though.
    At the moment I play Overwatch and HOTS. I've done other things too though. Would like to have enough omph that I don't have to upgrade again in the near future.

7. LordSquishy

"upgrade" and "replace" are two distinct and separate words...

8. Jake

Jake

Honestly, I'd say just buy a new graphics card (the RX 480 or GTX 1070 strike a good balance between 'oomph' and price tag) and maybe a new power supply, max out the RAM and maybe move your OS and games to an SSD if you feel up to it. That'll set you back much less than two grand!

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Mila

Mila Mysterious and magical cat

Hi everyone! Currently my computer is a few years old and I'm looking to upgrade some of the components. I have (iirc, will double check when home from work) an Intel i5 processor, 12 GB of DDR3 RAM and am currently running a GTX660 GPU with a 700-750 watt PSU from Corsair. I'd like upgrade the GPU to a newer mid-range card since newer games are starting to tax the GTX660 more than I would like (BF1, Dishonored 2, etc.), preferably still on NVIDIA and am not sure what card would best suit my needs. I would like to keep my budget under $200, but am willing to go up to $250 if I need to.

10. LordSquishy

You could get a GTX 1060, or the cutdown version (which I think is about $200) but you'd probably want a full-fat, 6GB+ card for future-proofing.)

11. Right now, the RX 480 and the GTX 1060 are pretty good choices, at $219 I'd go with with the PNY GTX 1060 (second card in the linked page).

Choose A Video Card - PCPartPicker

12. Abnormalus

Abnormalus

Your best bet really does seem to be the 1060 in that price range, that said if you are in the US keep an eye out for black friday/cyber monday to see if you can pick up a 1070 for a song

13. So, I've finally finished college, got a job, and earned my first paycheck. It's time for me to start building that gaming pc I've been wanting for the past couple years.
    • What's your budget?
    $1500, give or take $500. Obviously I'd like to spend less, but money is less of an issue than it's ever been for me before. Also, I'm willing to spread out the acquisition of the parts until late December to take advantage of the discounts that should be coming up soon.
    • What do you want this computer to do?
    This will be a purely personal desktop computer, mostly for playing video games. Currently, I'm hoping to play games like Overwatch and Dark Souls 3 in full resolution at 45-60 fps on high (but not necessarily highest) settings. The same applies to any new game that catches my eye in the near future.

• Are you willing to build your own computer? How much do you know about building computers?
    I'm willing to build my own computer, but I don't have too much experience. The most I've done in the past is dig through a box of scraps to get an old pc my dad disassembled working again. (My laptop was in repair, and I really wanted to play a game of League.) I don't trust myself with anything too delicate, but I'm plenty capable of inserting tab A into slot B.

• How long do you want this build to last? When do you plan to upgrade this computer?
    I'd like to have this pc for at least a while; I don't see myself replacing it until VR becomes a lot more mainstream. (Or in four to six years. Whatever comes first.) On the other hand, I'll be perfectly happy to put in another $1000 into upgrades over the course of the next year or two.
    • What monitor resolution will you be using?
    I have a pretty big monitor, but I'm not certain about the resolution. I'll edit it in after I get home in a couple of hours.

• Are you reusing parts from an old computer?
    My current computer is an elderly laptop that had been very respectable workstation three or four years ago. I doubt it has any parts worth reusing.

• Do you plan to overclock?
    Definitely not until I start upgrading, and probably not even then.

• Where will you buying your parts?
    I'm in California, and plan to order online. Website recommendations are appreciated. I'm familiar with NewEgg, but I'm sure you guys know a bunch of others that might be having sales soon.

• Do you need to buy the OS (eg: buy windows), KB, mouse, monitor etc?
    I'll buy a new mouse, but I have the rest and will wait for later upgrades to replace it.

I've also got a question that's more about setup than build, but I figured I might as well ask here. Have any of you considered sticking a treadmill in front of a standing desk or sticking a standing desk onto a treadmill and calling it a walking desk? I've found that I'm a lot less physically active now that I'm working, and that I spend too much time sitting down. Superficially, a walking desk for gaming seems like a perfect solution to that problem. Has anyone here thought that too? What problems did you encounter? If you thought about it and decided not to, what made you back out?
    Thanks in advance!

14. PCPartPicker

Basic build, didn't look for a lot of deals. You're in California, you should really see if you're close to a Microcenter. I have that mouse, really nice without being stupidly price like a lot of them now.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  15. Fernandel

Fernandel Lovely Writing, Tendency to Waffle Councillor

Yeah, hi! I think I need some help with this, because all my attempts have turned out terribly over budget. I think you will in all likelihood be more able to help me, and I thank you in advance. :)

1) Budget? a thousand euros, I think the conversion goes to around 1'060 dollars? This does not include things like monitors, keyboards, and other associated equipment; I'll be thinking separately about that.

2) What I want this computer to do? I would like to use this computer for gaming, none-too-tech-intensive office work, writing, and watching movies. It should be something that I can open easily for cleaning and possibly replacing parts as they become outdated, sturdy and also not too vulnerable to overheating. I am a bit of a clumsy and tech illiterate fellow, so ease of use would be important. For the gaming aspect, the future-proof aspect would be important -- I would like to be able to play current games without too much trouble, and also not have to worry about replacing parts for a while. I think we can use XCOM 2 and Dishonoured 2 as benchmarks here. I will not be doing programming, animation work, or hacking China or the Pentagon.

3) Build on your own? I am willing to build my own computer, but probably completely incapable of doing so due to lack of tech-literacy and aforementioned general clumsiness. However, I am willing to order parts and have them built.

4) Last of the Build? Well, basically I want to own something solidly future-proof for the next three to five years. I'd certainly be willing to replace single parts as they become outdated or I need to upgrade. I'd say at the earliest would be three years, but roughly five years would be appropriate.

5) Monitor Resolution: I think anything beyond what @Skyllian Blitz terms a "typical gaming resolutions" at "full HD" (1920x1080) would be not something I want.

6) Parts from an Old Computer? Nope. Tabula rasa.

7) Overclocking? If I knew what that was, perhaps. So in all likelihood no. :V

8) Market? Europe. I'm just generally looking for better guidelines in terms of what parts fit together well, honestly. If you have advice from other markets, that's fine too.

9) Accessoires? Yes, I will buy them as well. I do, however, have a separate budget assigned for those, so no need to consider them here.

So, SV, think you can help a dumb computer noob not get ripped or make a poor buyer's decision?

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  16. That's what I'd be going for.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€209.59 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock H170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€96.45 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€96.75 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€78.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€74.43 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card (€282.93 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case (€75.83 @ Mindfactory)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€87.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €1002.81
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-28 22:49 CET+0100

A rather standard build all in all. PCPartspicker doesn't seem to have a lot of German resellers listed.

With that said, I went with an i5-6500, reasonably powerful CPU, a sweet spot as far as value is concerned, non overclockable, should come with its heatsink+fan. Same for the MB. 16 GB of slowish RAM. Those were the main compromises.

For graphics, I went for an RX 480, it's enough for 1080p now and for the years you come unless you really like the Ultra setting. I could have gone a GTX 1060 but it didn't seem worth it.

Instead, you have decent storage, a decent case and a power supply from a reputable brand.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fernandel

...That looks pretty goshdarn amazing, actually. Mindfactory's not a bad port of call; I might even get it built there.

It does include a GTX 1060, but that's not at all a problem. I'll have to add an optical reader for CDs and DVD, perhaps increase the power supply (as 550W seems rather optimistic), and perhaps consider an added cooling fan (although I see one is already included? huh). Is it a problem if the SSD and HDD are different sizes, though? I'm unsure.

But this looks very, very good. Thank you very much, @Khaos. :)

18. Haha, I switched between the GTX 1060 and the RX 480 while trying to match your budget and I thought I kept the RX 480 in the end, it turns out I kept the 1060. :V

The Phanteks case doesn't come with a disk drive bay, it's a very nice looking case for the price though, instead you may try this PCPartPicker or this PCPartPicker.

To answer your questions there's should be already two case fans coming with the Phanteks case and the standard Intel heatsink+fan coming with the CPU. Considering you aren't planning to overclock, that's probably enough.

SSDs and HDDs of different sizes. Perfectly fine.

The PSU is actually oversized, the whole system sips 250W at full throttle.

19. Fernandel

Thank you for all this information. When you say it doesn't ha e a disk drive bay, though, does that mean it cannot have an internal CD/DVD reader at all?

20. Indeed. Disk drives are so 2006. :V

21. LordSquishy

I have a 550W PSU running a GTX 1070, a heavier duty CPU, 24GB of RAM, like four drives + optical and some other crap with no trouble at all. :V

22. Fernandel

Everything around me conspires to make me feel old. :mad:

I'll think about the case a bit more, but thank you very much for all this!
    I may be hanging out with too many computer scientists...

• Hugs Hugs x 1
  23. LordSquishy

I've had an optical drive in this computer since it was built, back in 2013.

I tried to use the optical drive about a month ago and it didn't work

It turned out this was because I never plugged it in when I built the PC...

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Fernandel

So what you're telling me is that I may not use the optical disk drive at all, then? :p

I do actually use it regularly enough (school materials, recording CDs I buy, renting movies) that I would like to have one in the computer. It seems wasteful to have to buy an extra external optical disk reader just for that.

Besides, it adds clutter. I hate clutter.

25. Jake

Jake

They still have their uses, at least if your PC is also your music system and DVD player like mine is.

26. Fernandel

Pretty much my line of thinking. The more I think about it, the less I'm willing to skip that bit. Hell, I may just take the opportunity and upgrade to an all-in-one reader.

So while the case @Khaos proposed looks really cool, I'll have to see whether I can find one with an optical disk drive bay. Hmm.

I just write Internal Ad System Story