1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Megathread PC Builds Megathread

Discussion in 'Computers & Video Gaming' started by Skyllian Blitz, Sep 18, 2014.

1. There's the Enthoo Pro M which I also really like and another case with a drive bay which I mentioned in #192.

Another question, do you have any preference with regards to case size?

2. Fernandel

Fernandel Lovely Writing, Tendency to Waffle Councillor

Thank you for those suggestions.

As for "case size", what do you mean? I have a relatively high desk, so it ought to be fine with a middling-sized one.

It's much more important to me that it is sturdy, not prone to overheating, and that I can open it to properly clean it.

3. Jake

Jake

Basically, do you want a mid-tower or a full tower? The latter being a bit easier to work inside and having loads more drive bays and fan hardpoints but taking up considerably more space.

4. It's just that some people like really big cases while other like really small cases.

Like this thing here which looks like a big Xbox and actually supports a slim optical drive. Though it requires more budget that you'd care for.

[​IMG]

Or who knows? An mATX case, Fractal Arc Minis and such like.

5. Fernandel

I think I need to rephrase my question. :p

When you say "a full tower", how tall is that? Half a metre, two feet? I've read elsewhere that it's "eighteen inches", which would be forty-five centimetres.

I think I'd be fine with that, honestly. More space sound useful.

6. Example of Mid Tower (Enthoo Pro M): 235 mm x 480 mm x 500 mm (W x H x D)
    Full Tower (Enthoo Primo): 250mm x 650mm x 600mm (WxHxD)

7. Fernandel

Hmm. 65 cms for a full tower...

I shall need to measure!

8. IMHO, large towers are mostly useless waste of space, what matters is air circulation inside a case rather than total volume.

• Insightful Insightful x 1
  9. Fernandel

It's too big anyway. I think the mid-sized tower is the best bet.

Now, to find one with aforementioned good air circulation...

10. Most of the cases mentioned already were so because they have good air circulation.

11. Fernandel

Excellent! So I can pick one of those.

Again: thank you very much, @Chaos. :)

12. That's Khaos with a K. :V

13. Fernandel

...too tired plus Autocorrect. My bad.

• Hugs Hugs x 1
  14. Fernandel

Okay, so... I think this has been an excellent thread so far. This is the final list I've thought of, and I think it's turned out pretty good!

I took @Khaos's and @Jake's advice and chose the midtower case, added a Blu-Ray reader optical drive, and switched merchants around until they're all from the same company. Easier that way, and hopefully reduces total shipping costs.

Also, I had to add the optical drive I wanted manually, because apparently PCPartPicker didn't know its price. Weird.

This should easily last me for a few years. Any thoughts?
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€209.85 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock H170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€96.27 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€102.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€82.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€79.83 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card (€288.63 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: *Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case (€84.83 @ Mindfactory)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€87.44 @ Mindfactory)
    Optical Drive: Asus BC-12D2HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (€56.33 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €1088.86
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-03 00:44 CET+0100

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  15. It's looks okay to me.

But just FYI, AMD is holding a presentation of their new range of CPUs 13th December, and the release is scheduled Q1 2017, it's probably their most significant release in a decade. This is a good build but you may find significantly better value in Q1. Obviously, it's next year, and there's a no absolute certainty.

16. Fernandel

While I appreciate the thought, I doubt I will truly go beyond this build for quite a long time.

By the time I'll want to upgrade, I'm certain I'll get a good deal on a better graphics card then as well. That's okay. :)

I think it's better to have a realistic plan and find a way to achieve it than to postpone the for the hope for something better later.

I need to thank you and @Jake for your help (and @LordSquishy too). You've helped me immensely. :D

17. ShinSpark

ShinSpark System Error : Humanity Detected

This question is on the assembly side of things.

So, sometime today I want to finish putting together my new system. However, this is my first Intel build and I have a question regarding the application of thermal compound.
    I have a brand new tube of Artic Silver 5, an i7-6700, a Cryorig C7 and a gigabyte B150M-DS3H mITX mobo.

The Artic Silver guide talks about using the creditcard method on the cooler and applying thermal compund in a line on the actual cpu.
    I have heard many times over the years that both of these things are not 'good ideas'. But my last two machines were also AMD so...

Is this the best method for apply thermal compund for an i7? I only get to do this once (cleaning the cpu / cooler is not on my list of things i want to do) and I'd rather do it right.

18. Short answer is that except for applying far too little thermal paste (which is bad) all methods produce the same results. If your thermal paste is electrically conductive then you may also want to avoid applying far too much (lest it short something out), but many modern pastes aren't.

Also, the Cryorig C7 comes with a tube of thermal paste (Cryorig CP7) so you don't need the Arctic Silver 5.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Guys my r9 270x is pretty old and I want to replace it. I am willing to spend up to 200$ for my replacement. I know of a deal for an rx 470 for 170$ and a rx 480 for 200$. I there any other gpus I should know of?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  20. Jake

Jake

At that price point? Only the GTX 1050 and 1060, which I'm told score slightly better with older DX11 games but are slightly behind for DX12 or Vulkan performance. Although by 'slightly' I mean an average of about 5FPS either way, so for all intents and purposes they're neck-and-neck.

21. The problem is the only 1060s I can find around that price point are the 3gb ones and they can cost around 210$. Which is a bit more than the rx 480 apparently. So, should I just get the 480 or the 470?

22. Jake

Jake

In that case, I'd say stick with the RX480. An 8GB one if you can manage it.

23. Skyllian Blitz

Skyllian Blitz Shadow Cabal Member Moderator

What monitor resolution are you using?

24. 1920 x 1080 60hz Sorry, I've should have said that earlier. And my cpu is a new i7-6700k that I got on sale, if you need to know.

25. If you can't get the 480 for a comfortable price, a 470 will serve you perfectly well(looking near 50-60 FPS and high settings) at 1080p. Either one will be a nice upgrade.

Alivaril Internal Ad System Quest