1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Publishing from SV

Discussion in 'Forum News and Staff Communication' started by theJMPer, Nov 1, 2016.

1. theJMPer

theJMPer

Setting aside the obvious question of "Why would someone ever buy what they can get for free", what're the rules behind publishing/self-publishing stuff that gets posted on here? I got into a discussion about it on discord, and we all got mired in legal terms trying to figure it out.

So, what exactly is the legal standing of trying to publish something that previously existed on this website? Not getting it published, as that's a whole other kettle of fish. I'm just curious if I'd get sued if I tried. (Assuming the work in question is wholly original in the first place.)

Thanks! And thanks for running such a slick site!

• Hugs Hugs x 2
    • Insightful Insightful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Generic_Generica

Generic_Generica Notice me Senpai~ Moderator

Lemme pull up the ToS real fast.

I... think the fourth and ninth bit are of interest? Not a lawyer and typing on mobile device so response is kinda meh.

Gimme a few minutes to go over this again. Hrm.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect What is Project Zohar? Director

Respectfully @Chargone, that's not true at all.

There is no legal barrier created by posting on SV. Nothing stops you from trying to get something you've posted on SV published elsewhere, and if you're successful in getting a deal with a publishing house, that's great! Remember us little people.

However, there are two things to keep in mind: you cannot compel us to remove any material you've posted on SV, and publicly posting something online can effectively give away your first publishing rights, which may make you less attractive to a publisher. Typically a publisher will want your first rights, and there's nothing that can really be done to get them back. It's a little bit like your virginity that way :V

e: like I don't know the exact wording of every website's ToS, but ours is pretty much standard. It's just a cleaned up version of the Xenforo ToS which comes attached to every install, which is itself pretty normal.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 20
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Slayers148

Slayers148 Kuso-chan desu~ Hawawawa~ Commission Artist

>reading ToS
    ...wait a minute...
    ...*Google this name*
    Perihelion Media Works

• Like Like x 3
  5. Xon

Xon Cabal Arm Commander Director

Something to be aware of is that Amazon will price match to free. So if you've published a work elsewhere for free and then publish it on Amazon; Amazon can automatically price match to the $0 value.

This is probably not what you expect!

Generally publishers care about first publishing rights rather than exclusive publishing rights.

• Informative Informative x 18
    • Like Like x 1
  6. LordSquishy

LordSquishy Probably Not A Producer

As I've said before, if you have personal legal questions about your copyrights or publishing, you should be talking to your own lawyer. If I were your lawyer, I would tell you not to trust what I as SV's lawyer was telling you about it anyway, given the pretty unavoidable conflict of interest. :p

SV's policies in this respect are basically the same as all other UGC sites. They give us as much flexibility as possible and as little liability as possible without being overtly evil. ;)

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
  7. E73S

E73S I've updated my journal.

Can we ask politely?

8. LordSquishy

You can try anything...once.

• Funny Funny x 17
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Talos

Talos Completed Quests: 3

I'd imagine so. I mean, so long as it's not dotted about half a dozen places in five different threads, I can't imagine why Squishy or the staff wouldn't let you take it down so long as you were nice about it, and didn't make a habit of it. (Once is fine, five times is vandalism.)

10. What if the two works are similar, but not the same?

11. You could always take your writing down manually.

• Funny Funny x 18
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

But then your writing would be...worthless :V.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Burning Baron

Burning Baron The Mightiest of Hunters

It almost seems like @theJMPer is talking about an Andy Weir-type situation, where the content already exists online, but could it be published in physical form? At least, that's what I got out of it.

• Hugs Hugs x 1
  14. The Englanderish

The Englanderish Schrödinger's Kuudere Thoughtcriminal

Well, yes, actually. As long as the thread isn't locked, there's not really anything stopping you editing out the writing in pre-existing posts. Presumably, staff would be able to access old versions, but the overwhelming majority, not so.

15. LordSquishy

Realistically speaking there are two major reasons involved.

One is that actually deleting stuff is hard. Moderators only have access to soft delete, and we leave it turned off for even senior staff unless we need specifically to hard delete something.

Even then, some things can't be hard deleted from the UI side: Reports, for example, copy the content being reported (so we see it at a particular point in time) and can't be deleted without database editing.

Finally, going through and trimming something out of all the places its been quoted can be deeply annoying, if we have to do it, and then hard-deleting those things, as well... Yeah.

So unless its illegal, we don't bother and won't even on request, usually.

• Informative Informative x 22
    • Like Like x 1
  16. theJMPer

theJMPer

Yeah, that was my question.

• Hugs Hugs x 1
    • Insightful Insightful x 1
  17. Xon

Xon Cabal Arm Commander Director

I've got no idea how Amazon detects content to price match on.

Probably some sort of phrase matching based of trawling the web followed by indepth crawling once they find matching hits with a human-decade of R&D time into fuzzy text matching being thrown at the problem.

18. Ford Prefect

Though if the person requesting is in the process of getting published ... Maybe we can do a deal :V

• Funny Funny x 17
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MJ12 Commando

MJ12 Commando Shadow Cabal Barristerminator

Yes but after spending the relevant time reading the fucking Berne Convention would you actually want to? :V

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Fernandel

Fernandel Lovely Writing, Tendency to Waffle Councillor

There's a reason I'll never publish my original works on SV or anywhere else on the internet, if only so I don't have to figure out the goddamn Berne Convention. :mad:

Any literary profits would get wiped by my legal bills, in any case. :(

• Hugs Hugs x 2
    • Insightful Insightful x 2
  21. Reveen

Reveen Dunked On

Well, you don't really need to delete the content, just not display it. Mods acting like they're scary or something aside, I think they can be given the benefit of the doubt that they're not going to try to fuck you over if you have ambitions to publish. I mean, there's no reasonable reason to that aside from them secretly being a pack of scumbags all this time.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Ford Prefect

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 13
  23. foamy

foamy Lying liar who lies. Executive Director

Not to make any promises, but ominous gifs notwithstanding, I think we're reasonable people who will indulge reasonable requests. Given than everyone has access to the delete and edit buttons, though, there isn't really a need to ask us to remove your own material.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  24. Ford Prefect

I was going to comment yesterday that all things considered users have basically the same deletion powers as staff (even the directors!), the exception being that staff can delete the posts of other people. We don't necessarily have an issue with people soft deleting things, but we reserve the right to undelete posts, and to restrict the use of hard delete.

Like we certainly have hard deleted material in certain circumstances. All jokes aside, if you come to us with a request and a good reason, we're not just going to fob you off. The thing to remember is that we can't be required to do it if we say no, and we may have reasons to say no. 'Sabotaging your publishing deal' is not really one of the reasons to say no.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  25. The Englanderish

The Englanderish Schrödinger's Kuudere Thoughtcriminal

Unless there's a threadlock.

Sufficient Velocity Internal Ad System Art