1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Self-Requested Ban - What's this about?

Discussion in 'Forum News and Staff Communication' started by Robert Liguori, Dec 20, 2016.

1. I've seen a few people with this status around, and I'm deeply confused and slightly curious.

Is it a thing that one can message someone and get banned of one's own volition? And, if this is a thing, why is it that it's enough of a thing to be, well, a thing? I'm having a lot of trouble imagining the case for this to be the best solution to any common problem, and yet, apparently it is.

For my own understanding, can someone tell me some of the reasons for enough people self-request bans (as opposed to just, e.g., not visiting the site) that a special status is necessary?

• Like Like x 1
  2. LordSquishy

LordSquishy Probably Not A Producer

Quite frankly I think it's incredibly silly.

• Like Like x 10
  3. E73S

E73S I've updated my journal.

Yup. You can request to be banned from posting for a while. The reasons can vary:
    Exams
    Drunkeness
    Angry
    Sad
    Hiiiiiiiigh
    Easy way to let people know you're not available for RPs/Quests/Forum sacrifices while RL stuff goes on
    Being institutionalized

And these are only a few of the many reasons folks have. It adds no infraction points to your account, so you don't have that little doom ticker increase while you take a break. All in all it's useful.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  4. It helps a lot with self control when you can't trust yourself to the temptation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. foamy

foamy Lying liar who lies. Executive Director

Yes, it's a thing, and yes it's enough of a thing that we needed a separate banner to keep people from panicking. The most common reasons are RL things preventing people from having time for SV and wanting to remove the temptation, and people getting really mad at Current Affairs and deciding it's better to stop going there.

• Like Like x 8
  6. Cadis

Cadis Proud Capoeria Angola Quintal Capoerista Advocate

For myself, I actually have requested a ban on SB, and the reason I did it was because I both had a large amount of work to do, and very poor impulse control, plus, like most people, a tendency to procrastinate. I had myself banned to remove the temptation to post instead of getting work done.

7. Wolf Ritter

Wolf Ritter Most Moral Poster

I really hope there's forced stipulations on having the status removed, it would amuse me to no end to imagine the administration actively having to admonish grown adults and tell them to go back to their room and finish their project and only when they send documented evidence will their status be reverted back to normal.

• Funny Funny x 11
  8. Fernandel

Fernandel Lovely Writing, Tendency to Waffle Councillor

There isn't. You only have to ask.

Because the staff of SV treat you like an adult that can recognise of your own free will when you need some time off and when you can return.

People might think the image you're painting is hilarious, haha, but for those of us with genuinely poor impulse control, you have no idea how much of my good mood, sleep, productivity, and thusly associated mental health these self-requested thread/subforum/total bans have improved.

Especially when you have shit like crunch time for projects, exam prep, office deadlines, etcetera, where you need to be fully concentrated. Or because you think CA is goddamn stupid, but arguments keep dragging you in and wasting the free time you would like to talk about anime.

These self-requested bans are genuinely a big help for peoplr. The fact that the staff is pretty accommodating about these requests is only a good thing, and they're doing it because they're nice.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
    • Insightful Insightful x 2
  9. Huh. Well, while this doesn't seem like something I'd personally be interested in, I am now more knowledgeable for your replies. Thanks, everyone that chimed in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
  10. EarthScorpion

EarthScorpion CR of the Thrown

I think what he means is that you need to PM a mod with, say, an imgur upload of a picture of your printed off bit of coursework to demonstrate that you have in fact completed it, and aren't just saying it to get back onto SV. :p

11. Kokurokoki

Kokurokoki I am mad!

It's also a thing on SB. I got Connor to ban me during my exam week from SB while LordSquishy (or was it Ford?) banned me from SV. Connor was even so nice as to leave me a message reminding me to study whenever I tried to log on. Unfortunately I don't think I got anything on SV. The coldness hurts... Q_Q

I think there was also an announcement somewhere on here that if you troll a mod asking to get banned, they will banhammer you for real. So only use self-bans for important stuff (school, work, saving the world(?), personal/spiritual matters).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017 at 8:39 PM
    • Funny Funny x 2
Sufficient Velocity Internal Ad System Staff