1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Shooting at Fort Lauderdale airport

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Corp, Jan 6, 2017.

• Hugs Hugs x 13
  1. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect What is Project Zohar? Director

Jesus. Hopefully those who are wounded pull through. Given that the shooting was at baggage claim, I feel like the death toll was mercifully small.

2. Christ. Heads are going to roll.

3. Pyrion

Pyrion Asuran Rights Activist

This is completely legal:

Article:
    Transporting Firearms and Ammunition

You may transport unloaded firearms in a locked hard-sided container as checked baggage only. Declare the firearm and/or ammunition to the airline when checking your bag at the ticket counter. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.

Contact the TSA Contact Center with questions you have regarding TSA firearm regulations and for clarification on what you may or may not transport in your carry-on or checked baggage.

Firearms

• When traveling, comply with the laws concerning possession of firearms as they vary by local, state and international governments.
    • Declare each firearm each time you present it for transport as checked baggage. Ask your airline about limitations or fees that may apply.
    • Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock.
    • Firearm parts, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
    • Replica firearms, including firearm replicas that are toys, may be transported in checked baggage only.
    • Rifle scopes are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage.
    Ammunition

• Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
    • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
    • Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.

• Informative Informative x 14
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Nah. It was legal to do. So, nothing of significance will happen.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  5. Pyrion

Pyrion Asuran Rights Activist

Except more security theater. There will be noise made about more gun control, but we're getting Republicans in control of everything so yeah, nothing of consequence will happen.

• Hugs Hugs x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Insightful Insightful x 1
  6. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

Remember when 90% of Americans supported more regulation on guns and congress didn't do jack shit about it? Yeah, fuck the NRA. How much blood will they trade for their profits?

[​IMG]

• Hugs Hugs x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Informative Informative x 15
  7. Also note that you can see why Clinton hammered Sanders on gun control. The NRA elected Sanders because the GOP candidate took a stance other than 100% support of unrestricted gun rights, something Sanders did not forget.

8. Kinda like this map.

9. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

I'll be first to admit that Sanders wasn't perfect, but I still gelled with him on a lot of other things. Still, I don't think this is really the thread for it.

• Hugs Hugs x 1
  10. I think the gigantic red flag here was a literal commitment to a mental hospital and still owning/possessing firearms.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Zoosmell

Zoosmell Metal is the Soul of a Man

Yeah, someone dropped the ball here. I was under the impression that that barred you from owning anything more than a single-shot at the federal level.

12. Pretty sure you'd need an actual conviction; it sounds like this guy was just put on a temporary psych hold.

• Informative Informative x 10
  13. A court ordered admission into the psych ward is a disqualifying status.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Passerby

Passerby The Passerby Walks By, What Is It That He Sees?

Okay, just from stereotyping him from what articles I have found. Either he is presenting PTSD with Psychosis or just plain Schizophrenia of some sort. The auditory hallucinations sort of blur the lines. Because he has suffered some form of psychotic break...assuming he didn't premeditate everything because he was on a mission and he has a 'defense' plan for later. Which is horrifying and paranoid to think, but its been a bad few years.

I would wait to see what his service jacket is like first, a more detailed account than he is a Iraq war vet. Though from what some sources report, he went AWOL several times. And the delusional belief the CIA was forcing him to watch ISIS videos and controlling his mind and such, along with incoherence speaks of swift decline. Especially given that it was two months ago he first complained, like people can appear lucid and in control, and still be totally delusional. It just means you have fixed false beliefs, like the CIA is monitoring you with your fillings. You can appear totally normal, and belief that with a unrivaled faith, but still do your taxes and go to work and say hi to a stranger. You just contextualize things in your new paradigm.

...man, this is bad. It is going to stigmatize the mental health problems of hundreds of thousands...please, please let there be a measured and sane response to this.

• Hugs Hugs x 5
  15. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower Ex-cultist vagrant

Evidently not, at least in practice.

• Like Like x 1
  16. foamy

foamy Lying liar who lies. Executive Director

According to the news I'm hearing, his stay in a mental health facility was a voluntary admission.

• Informative Informative x 4
  17. Well voluntary admissions are different. They should likely stay that way as a general rule less we incentivize gun owners to not seek mental help.

If anything a framework should be in place for ensuring people won't be a danger even during voluntary admissions, but a blanket rule of prohibition shouldn't be enacted for voluntary treatment.

• Like Like x 10
  18. vicky_molokh

vicky_molokh The *other* transhuman[ist]

The fact that there at all is some process* by which a voluntary entry into an institution can be converted into an involuntary one is rather scary and produces some perverse incentives.

* == At least some of the articles I've read, and according to the personal experiences of people who spent some of their lives institutionalized, such a process exists.

19. Apocal

Apocal Alpha Technoblack Moderator

PTSD doesn't make you this brand of crazy, although it sure as fuck doesn't help.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Passerby

From what I recall, some diagnoses of PTSD include psychosis. It is not as commonly known, but there has been some papers about the whole issue between where PTSD with psychosis stops and Schizophrenia begins. Like, if I am remembering this right, there is some debate on whether or not some cases of PTSD with psychosis is actually PTSD without psychosis co-occurring/comorbid Schizophrenia, or if PTSD is not involved at all and this is pre-existing/prodromal Schizophrenia. Basically is PTSD with psychosis a type of PTSD diagnosis, or if it is the result of misidentifying preexisting, co-occuring, or new onset of Schizophrenia.

I will be taking another course of abnormal psychology in ten days, so hopefully I can refresh myself. It has been a few years since my last abnormal psych course I do admit.

• Informative Informative x 2
  21. Drenghul

Drenghul The terror that watches in darkness

I think your psychiatrist should be able to put a temp block on firearms pending a court ruling. That might help keep sick people from getting weapons while allowing them to regain access if they prove themselves safe.

22. vicky_molokh

vicky_molokh The *other* transhuman[ist]

Resulting perverse incentive: "Don't go to a psychiatrist, because psychiatrists can take away your right without going through a fair trial, then you have to go through court to get them back".

• Like Like x 8
    • Insightful Insightful x 5
  23. Passerby

That's a state level policy making decision I believe, though a lot of people will fight making that a thing due to political reasons. And if it does become a thing, it sort of makes people paranoid and otherwise don't feel great.

Really, now I am wondering if he went to the FBI because of self awareness that he was dangerous, or rather he went there to fed and handle his delusions within the context of the delusions.

CIA is doing this to me? Totes obvs that the FBI will be bros.

Hello Internal Ad System Quest