1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Shyft's Illustration Thread

Discussion in 'Art and Music' started by Shyft, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Private Lee O'Malley

Private Lee O'Malley Head Puns = -10 to Next Roll Councillor

Oh hey Shyft (And I apologize if this annoys you since ya probably answered this.) since you drew Tamamo, you're totally fine with other -mimis right?

[​IMG]

As long we only ask for B and above, you're fine right?

• Like Like x 2
  2. A and B are fine

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. So I wanted to editorialize a bit on pinup art. I'm by no means the greatest at it, and I'm not attempting to justify my mistakes as style. (Trust me, if someone says 'it's their style-' punch them, they're lying to themselves and being lazy.)

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that most forms of art are in some way exaggerations, interpretations, or impressions. I don't do photo realism, for one.

Pinup art is quite frankly a genre/approach that's all about capturing a single, dynamic instance. It's not about natural poses or 'real life' conditions. Glamour photography is also a similar thing. Reality is rarely interesting or visually appealing.

Anyway, I have an example! This is art by J Scott Campbell, who I'm sure some of you have heard of.

[​IMG]

You'll note that I attempt to do a LOT of similar things- structurally and compositionally, though nowhere near as effective, I admit. Consider the gal at center-far left, with the at-first-glance 90 degree spine. That is NOT actually what is happening with her body. The 90 degree effect is achieved by the planes of her hips versus that of her back and shoulders.

Anyway, consider how their legs are positioned, and how even the idea that these are mermaids plays into the idealization and aesthetic the artist was going for. The gal with her hands linked around the backs of her thighs is a classic pinup pose, for example. Is this a realistic pose? No. It however looks really good.

• Informative Informative x 12
    • Like Like x 4
    • Hugs Hugs x 2
  4. Fate/Online

Fate/Online

First let me say I can see what your trying to say(...I think). I just don't have a response to it.
    Second:... ... ...Is that Peter Pan surrounded by a bunch of naked mermaids who have looks on their faces that say they're going to test his stamina?

• Insightful Insightful x 1
  5. Yes, that is exactly what you're seeing. Campbell has done a series of illustrations in this vein.

• Like Like x 4
  6. And in the vein of more pinups, I've spent about 90 minutes on this one! I will note that her nose looks very interesting right now, mostly because I am experimenting with getting the 'Plane' of the underside right. So please do not assume that it's indicative of final structure.

Why is she wearing stiletto heels and a bikini? Because Pinup.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
  7. Kharn_Valnikov

Kharn_Valnikov The Betrayer

She's got fecking good balance. XD Lovely drawing Shyft.

8. Avalanche

Avalanche Atypical Netizen

In regards to your two posts above, with mistakes as opposed to style, one of the things I do tend to see is the joint between the thighs and hips for your pics. In this case for example, the forward leg should have the upper joint of the femur moved up and and back.

But.

That would obscure delicious midriff and navel.

What do.

• Hugs Hugs x 1
  9. That leg has been bothering me, and that makes perfect sense as a suggestion. You do however put word to exactly the kind of decisions I have to make when composing a piece. When done badly, we get the much-maligned boob-and-butt pose. The point of any exaggeration is to accentuate something.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Swordomatic

Swordomatic Shadow Cabal Nep Dante Moderator

The leg in the back also looks a fair bit longer than the leg in the front, though that one should be easier to fix, I think.

11. Private Lee O'Malley

Didn't he just say "Guys no critiques because trust me I know it looks wrong and it makes the buyer seem like they got a shoddy product which in turn makes me look bad"?

12. The Englanderish

The Englanderish Schrödinger's Kuudere Thoughtcriminal

Now that is a nice spine!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. There is a very critical and subtle distinction here. They were providing useful directive and meaningful insight- it also is an Inprogress Personal Piece, not a paid commission.

I'd rather not go further into it here, but everything is cool right now.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
  14. Swordomatic

As a budding artist I fully understand Shyft's frustration, so I try to soften my blows. At the same time it's best if he knows, too. Anatomy is a bitch and it is best to resolve those problems quickly and early.

Plus Shyft knows that he can dropkick me into the Exalted Thread if I ever get uppity.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. So I forgot to log my time on this inprog, but I'm pretty sure I didn't spend more than 30m on it. So total of approximately 2 hours.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 18
  16. Private Lee O'Malley

For some reason below the arm I thought there was a small Mako without any eyes.

Don't ask.

• Hugs Hugs x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. The nose looks much better now that it's more filled in. The right hand looks kind of squashy and lacking shape compared to the previous in progress version. The legs look much better too, looks like you pulled them up a bit and shrunk the right knee a touch?

18. And calling this one finished! By no means perfect or fully cleaned up, but I am ready to move on.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 21
  19. So I sitll have a Job, (though I haven't gotten a proper paycheck yet, due to when I was hired...) Anyway. I am 900$ away from my 4000$ New Computer Goal*

*I actually need 2400$, because if I don't have 1500$ in my account, I start taking fees.

Anyway, this post is mostly to cheer myself up that MY GOAL IS IN REACH and that I am still open for commissions, both 10$ and 70$ B/W pinups!

• Hugs Hugs x 14
    • Like Like x 3
  20. fallintolife

fallintolife the worst vegan

I just need to get a little more stable in my life, and then I'll be able to commission you on a few pieces. I've got some OCs that need realizing. If I remember correctly, you do draw males, you just prefer females?

21. Look to the Left

Look to the Left Hi, I'm Nui here

I sitll have things too. :V

• Like Like x 1
  22. I can indeed draw guys, though I may stumble and falter a bit while doing so.

• Hugs Hugs x 1
  23. So what I think will be a trend- I come home from work, I sketch buxom beauties. I am a little chagrined to post this one now, at this level of completion. I mean, it's patently obvious what I was spending the most time getting right. However, it's here because quite a lot is going Right, even if there are rough spots like the face and obviously-inprogress arms.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 28
  24. Strypgia

Strypgia Shadow Cabal Token Adult Moderator

Obviously, it was the trim. That is what it was.

dayyyyum...

• Funny Funny x 10
  25. Swordomatic

The trim is very nice, to be clear. But the breasts are very nice.

• Like Like x 5
    • Meow Meow x 1
Snowfire Internal Ad System Quest