1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Star Wars, Discussion, Fic Ideas and Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'Fanfiction Discussion' started by doorcf the first and only, May 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Xero Key

Xero Key Disco Lantern, ho!

Thank you for correcting me.

2. Argosh

Argosh Püha uba

I've been keeping my eye on Past Lives by Beatrice Otter.
    To summarize, Finn timetravels to the Clone Wars era and freaks out. No idea where the fic is going but the premise is interesting.

3. So does anyone have any good stories for the new movie, preferably with a Rey focus, and without Kylo/Rey Romance?

• Hugs Hugs x 2
  4. Marla

Marla

A recommendation:

Book of Night - A Star Wars/The Mummy fanfiction | Archive of Our Own
    Padme Naberrie went looking for adventure, and boy did she find it.

A fusion of SW and The Mummy where Vader is Imhotep and Padme is the heroine(I don't remember her name). The idea is pretty much crack, but the execution is brilliant. Just a one-shot of prologue, but it's a great read nonetheless.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Puzzle

Puzzle

The Skywalker Holocron
    Skywalker was a creature of the Outer Rim. He wasn’t the first of his kind and wouldn’t be the last, but he fit in the long list of those who burst out of the emptiness at the galaxy’s edge and changed everything.

He came from nowhere, as was traditional. Rumor put his home system everywhere from Tion to Eriadu, across the entire circumference. If he’d emerged any earlier the mystery would have soon been solved, but in the chaos of Vader’s and Palpatine’s battle much was lost. As the galaxy tore itself apart he rose.

Arica’s dossier for him at the time was far more detailed of course. Luke Skywalker, traced back to Anchorhead Tatooine. No parents, raised by his aunt and uncle who were collateral damage in Captain Noles’s strike on Jabba the Hutt’s primary palace. His initial career had been lackluster, but the shape of things to come were visible.

He joined a smuggler to get off world, shortly after became a pilot, and then was the only man to escape a taskforce’s ambush of the black market mine. He broke the Kessel run record in the process with an unmodified Headhunter, starting a race that culminated in the joint Solo-Calrissian effort that shaved off a full parsec and still remained unbroken.

The record setting Headhunter appeared in the collection of a dilettante and a little reading between the lines indicated the source of Skywalker’s funds for his true passion, shredding Imperial outposts.

He’d worked his way up, supply depots, safe houses, a Ubiqtorate black site, an ISI SCIF, then he really caught his stride and infiltrated a Star Destroyer. After that things became even less plausible, he single-handedly commandeered a frigate, returned to Kessel and broke into and out of the deep crust holding cells, before hijacking a Captain’s shuttle with the captain and his bodyguard still aboard. He proceeded to land on the destroyer with only a single hostage and a blaster and managed to cause enough confusion that he safely escaped with the destroyer’s encryption matrix.

In short he was a nuisance who seemed to strike at random. Appearances were deceiving though, even with how far she’d fallen Arica had been able to find the pattern. He was looking for the man who killed his family, not just the Captain who’d died in what now seemed like an especially suspicious mugging, but the man who ordered it. Considering Arica worked for him, she was bound to come into conflict with Skywalker eventually. She hadn’t thought it would be this soon though, he’d gotten sloppy.

One of his alias’s came up on an agriworld, a planet with only one distinguishing feature, its Imperial Contraband warehouses. According to his pattern he’d lie low for a while after his latest stunt, eventually something would take the heat off of him, but that just gave her time to get there. She didn’t know what he wanted or when he’d be there, but Skywalker was coming and she’d be ready.

______
    I've been thinking of a Star Wars AU, tentatively titled The Skywalker Holocron, where Vader kills Palpatine and dies in the process. In the chaos of the Empire collapsing on itself Obi-Wan, Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru are killed in some indiscriminate strike on Jabba by an Imperial faction. Luke, at this point completely rudderless decides that he's going to get justice for his family.

The actual story would pick up a bit later, when Luke has acquired a name for himself as a bit of a badass. He's been picking off Imperial Bases, working his way up the chain to find out who gave the orders, but no one is too worried because you don't get to be an Imperial Moff without making a few scarily competent enemies.

However the Moff in question gets incontrovertible evidence that Skywalker is going to hit a random base, one so utterly pointless that Skywalker's normal precautions were relaxed. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth he sends one of his most capable lieutenants, Commander Arica, to deal with the nuisance.

The base would hold the titular holocron, and the story would focus on his attempt to retrieve it while combatting the efforts of the Emperor's Hand.

• Like Like x 10
    • Insightful Insightful x 1
  6. Purely on me being anal retentive about Wars ship details, unmodified Z-95 Headhunters have no hyperdrive, which makes that feat rather implausible. Though I doubt anyone that isn't a massive ships nerd is going to notice or care. :p

My first reaction is I dislike just killing off Obi-Wan. I mean, removing Vader and Palps, I get: it's the initial change, and not a terribly implausible one, and sets up a lot of plot dominos. Killing Obi-Wan just feels unnecessary, unlikely given who he is, and what he is capable of, and dammit I like the character enough to feel cheated by a meaningless off screen death.

Other then that, I like the initial premise, though I have a load of question worldbuilding wise. The front and center one is, where is the Rebellion- or what would have been the Rebellion- in all of this? I have other such questions that are more EU based, such as the Hutt Kaidjics reaction to Jabaa's death, but that one looms tall over the rest of the story idea.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Puzzle

Puzzle

Wookiepedia disagrees with you on the hyperdrive, although I won't say that settles the matter at all.

Killing Obi-Wan is crucial, well at least getting him sufficiently sidetracked that he can't stop Luke from leaving. I didn't want to have Luke doing the whole Jedi/Rebellion thing, and Obi-Wan would be able to push him along that path.

The Rebellion isn't on the ropes or anything, but no one especially cares about them with the Imperial infighting. The Vader/Palpatine struggle meant that the Death Star never made its debut, so the Rebels never got the massive propaganda victory of destroying it. The ongoing chaos both helps and hurts them, because there's less coordination in hunting them down, but with a fractured galaxy it's unlikely they'll be able to resurrect the Republic.

As for the Hutts, Jabba might not be dead, but the Imperials aren't putting up with them anymore. Previously it was always more trouble than it was worth to deal with them, but the Hutts were a little too ambitious in trying to exploit the conflict and random factions are now just sending Star Destroyers to blow up their assets whenever they slither out. It's an expensive and ongoing mess, but the Imperials can no longer tolerate the Hutts. Will they succeed? Historically no one has, but at some point the Hutts' luck is bound to run out.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Canis

Canis Puppy!

So, not talking about any tech manuals that might have been published but every bit of EU literature I've read (which is almost all of it up to the release of the first Prequel movie) agrees that a stock Z-95 has no hyperdrive.

That said, I'm not saying it couldn't have made the Kessel run because Empire Strikes Back suggests that there is some other form of FTL or near-FTL travel that is available in the Star Wars universe because the Falcon made it to a completely different Star System in a matter of weeks/months while sporting a completely busted hyperdrive.

9. Puzzle

Puzzle

You may very well be correct, I just pulled it from wookipedia which is hardly the greatest source in the world. In any case the idea was simply that he pulled off something apparently impossible like winning Le Mans with an unmodded Buick.

10. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

To be fair, it's only clear that a first generation Z-95 has no hyperdrive. A Z-95A, in other words. An unmodified Z-95H might be hyperdrive-equipped. Likewise, they do have those hyperdrive docking rings in the PT, so he could have used one of those.

11. Check the Legends tab: the current canon is based on a mobile game. So you know, more focused on fair and balanced gameplay (as it should be) then providing lore. And as others have noted, there are ways around this.
    Why would he? Vader is gone. Luke doesn't need to be a Jedi to defend himself anymore. Nevermind Obi-Wan provides something a of a ready made explanation for 'how did Luke learn what he needs to become what you want him to be.

Also, I think you actually need to address the whole Force thing, particularly given your plotline is toeing very heavily towards Luke in Name Only. Or rather, if Luke was Kyle Katarn as opposed to Luke Skywalker. Having a few touchstones from the trilogy around would help (and your setup cuts off most of the rest), and quite frankly Luke and Obi-Wan with a different relationship then canon is considerably more interesting then 'and Obi-Wan is dead'.

And honestly, Luke is going to wind up aligned with the Rebellion because you have him running around blowing up Imperial outposts. They kinda recruit based on that sort of thing, and unless you make Luke an anti-social moron, he's going to accept because munitions and repairs aren't cheap.
    Actually, with Imperial infighting they'd probably be more relevant then ever. I mean, yeah they didn't have the propaganda boost of the Death Star, but they already had Mon Cala onside before that, and that alone gives them enough power to be a player. I can't really comment more without a clearer picture of how things fractured and when, given how much the layout of the galaxy matters for this. If you haven't figured it out, I'd pretty strongly advise you do so, at least as far as the big players go.

(Fast and dirty method for that: shipyards = force projection + upkeep, possibly via raiding tactics if needed. Which means the Imperial heavyweights are going to be in the Core, with its high concentration of major shipyards. Assuming increasing warlordism as you move out, you probably a have network of tribute and alliances flowing between the lesser warlords of the Rim and the greater warlords of the Core. Keep the Core Warlords limited in number for audience and writing convenience, and keep them recognizable name as much as possible, to ground this in the verse. Off the top of my head, a three way split between Tarkin, Isard and Gram Bel Ilbis would work well. Assuming you don't want to use the 300 pound artistic gorilla of the Empire, Thrawn, who probably takes over the galaxy if he's one of the Core Warlords, have him busy with securing the Empire of the Hand and the Chiss out in the Unknown Regions.)
    For a group that's supposedly fractured, the Imperials are coming across awfully unified here. Especially against a group that fundamentally are businessmen, and would be quite willing to buy and sell to all sides in the Outer Rim... which is honestly quite the service to warlords who are looking to one up each other. And the Hutts aren't exactly lacking in assets or mercenaries either: if a group hits them, they can hit back (or pay another group to hit the offending party).

(This is influenced by my take on the Hutts, (which is in turn influenced by Jason Fry's attempts to make them into an actual threat as opposed to a joke) which basically boils down to: the Hutts are an old, successful nation state that makes most of their money via criminal dealings. They're dangerous, because if they weren't, they'd be dead. I'd recommend Lords of Nal Hutta (from the FFG roleplaying line) for a solid breakdown on Hutts and their place in the verse, and the people under them.)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Puzzle

Puzzle

I think Obi-Wan would try to train Luke, which I didn't want so he's out. Reasonable people can disagree if my view is accurate of course and I'll admit it's a handwave. Regarding the force, Anakin and others strong in the force were able to use it subconsciously to achieve great things. Luke would be following in their mold. He would sooner or later realize something's up, it's part of why the idea of a Skywalker Holocron appeals to him. It represents both a possible link to his family, and an explanation of what he can do.

I'm kind of thinking that the Death Star was one of the events that really solidified the Rebellion, that a lot of the structure needed beforehand existed but it took a massive victory to draw everyone on board. The Galaxy is a big place, there's a lot of rebel groups, that's why it's the Rebel Alliance. Here they'd be coalescing, but more slowly because some of their members are quite happy with the new status quo.

The Imperials are fractured, but three years previously they weren't. At the level the anti-Hutt strikes are being carried out they still remember that even as the upper ranks jockey for power. My intention is that the Hutts overstepped, that they are a significant bloc but they did something egregious. This undetermined action outraged enough in the Xenophobic Imperial fractions that they temporarily decided to punish them. It's not really a campaign of conquest, more that a unit of three or four destroyers drops out of Hyperspace and shreds everything indiscriminately on a Hutt controlled world and leaves. It's not a great policy, it set a wild Luke Skywalker on the Galaxy, but the Hutts for all their economic power don't have the power to stop military strikes at random.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. Ok, not trying to be difficult here, but why would he realize something is up? Basically every Force sensitive in canon (past or present) needed to be told before they had a clue. The advantages the Force gives to the untrained are really subtle, and can be mistaken for just being that good (and often are). Not to mention early Luke is not taken to introspection.

Well, unless he wandered into a vergence. And it's not like killing off Palpatine and Vader got rid of the Inquisition, or people like Cronal or Maul. Ahsoka deserves a mention as well. And there is the matter of with Palpatine gone, a certain green troll has a lot less reason to hide....

Just saying, lots of rather interesting options there, and 'figured it out himself' isn't to well supported canon wise.

And just to clarify on the last part, because I think we're running into differences in assumptions here. I was assuming that the Skywalker holocron was something Luke made as a legacy and record of what happened, which makes a good framing device. The other idea, that it's something Anakin made, doesn't make a whole lot of sense on a few levels, not in the least of which, since you cut Obi-Wan out, Luke has no idea his dad was a Jedi. He thinks his dad is a spice smuggler, going by what he was told by his uncle. And yeah, once he's out in the galaxy he'll probably hear of Anakin Skywalker, the Hero With No Fear (maybe, anyways: Luke always struck me as pretty clueless about history, which explains a lot about how little he knows in Empire. And then the events of Empire provide a lot of incentive to catch up on history), but he'd probably assume they just had the same name, because that honestly makes more sense. And would just start to make more sense if he looked into it, given the Jedi's fairly well known no families rule and the complete lack of media attention on anything publicly known like a family (besides Obi-Wan) for Anakin. Further, assuming Luke knows what a Holocron is (which strikes me as pretty Jedi/Sith specific knowledge, given no one else has a need for the things), why would he assume Anakin made one? It always struck me as a thing Masters did, not Knights, and given Anakin's personality, him making one would be odd.

Nothing you can't work around (the Force is handy like that), but there are some pretty big holes with what you've stated as a premise (assuming I'm reading it right).

On the subject of Obi-Wan, I realized a very big reason you would want him alive, given your stated intentions: if he dies, he goes Force ghost and starts haunting Luke. Friendly haunting, but its not really a question of if he could do it or would he do it.
    Well, at the start they wouldn't. Give them three years, and that probably would have changed, especially with the Empire falling apart and oh look, vulnerable shipyards.

(There's also the mild fridge logic behind the Boonta Hutta throne worlds and the Hutts using them as storehouses for treasure, if you want to use it: the galaxy has a bit of thing for leaving superweapons lying about. What exactly might the Hutts have in there for their 'break glass in case of emergency' buttons, given they've been collecting of millennia?)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Regarding Obi-Wan, why not have him on the other side of the galaxy training Leia? He tries to get Luke to go with him when he leaves, but his Aunt and Uncle haven't died here, and there's no Rebel message. Remember, Luke didn't immeadiatly agree to go in ANH. So Luke doesn't go, insisting he has to stay until the harvest.

So Obi-Wan leaves, because Bail's message made it clear shit is going down, and they need him there, and by the time he can come back, Luke's Aunt and Uncle are dead and he's gone. Obi-Wan wants to find him, but he also needs to train Leia, so he doesn't reunite with Luke until a dramatically appropriate time, by which time Luke's working for Talon Karrde or something.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Puzzle

Puzzle

I think eventually he'd figure out that his gut instinct was always right, and during his mayhem filled career he'd see something that made him realize the force was real. As you say there's a bunch of Force users running around, it wouldn't take much for him to become suspicious he might be sensitive too, especially if the force gives him a nudge. Anakin in the Phantom Menace was reading surface thoughts with no training and only an awareness that the force was real, if Luke is searching for any edge I think he could pick up a few tricks. Keep in mind that Luke, like his father, is far stronger than the other Jedi and Sith we see for the most part.
    He'd think that to start, but by the time the story starts he's half aware of his own force potential, and he learns about the Holocron. It's enough to get him to swing by a no-name planet while he waits for the heat on him to cool off, it's simply a long shot he's willing to take. At this point he's been doing far more dangerous things regularly, here he thinks he'll just break into a warehouse and steal a box before leaving.
    Would Obi-Wan haunt him? There are limits on force ghosts, it's possible that he couldn't. Obi-Wan might also not want to, if Anakin had never left Tatooine things might be better off. Letting Luke live his life without the Jedi strictures that destroyed Anakin might be for the best.
    I tend to think that Imperial factions would be gearing up for wars, not letting things slide. The Shipyards would be busy for the galactic war, this would be more like the US Civil war where production is rising than the breakup of the USSR. The various sectors can't last too long on a total war footing, and the cracks are starting to be visible, but the Hutts made their move too early and are paying for it.
    Possible, but I don't think Obi-Wan would give up on training Luke, especially if he's going around making waves.

16. Er. Source on the surface thoughts thing? If your referring to the scene in the council chamber, its more likely he simply knew what they were, as opposed to mind reading to figure it out- particularly since the person holding the pad was Mace Windu. Casual telepathy is generally a no go Force powers wise, with only a few Jedi Masters (usually on the Council) being the exception, and even they generally get ignored by most sources. Break into a person's mind telepathy is a different matter, but obviously not a figure it out yourself technique.

And mind, that wasn't something he knew he could do, it was something he was asked to do, and he did. So, you know, training- that your Luke won't have. Which is kinda an issue with this idea in general: its hitting the 'Luke is more powerful and badass then he was in canon, who needs silly training' school of thought, which... murgh. Not my favorite, and it pops up on the Pet Peeves thread enough to know I'm not alone in that.

But leaving that aside, the baseline powers for Luke are: stupid fast reflexes and spatial awareness, and aim botting, all of which are hard to describe as 'noticeably supernatural', particularly given some other notable examples in Wars. Most of the flashy, trained techniques of groups like the Jedi/Sith are things like deflecting blaster bolts with a lightsaber, the acrobatics, and TK pushes. There's not a lot to connect to what he can do with the Force unless someone tells him, and those people are moderately rare. If Luke was the introspective type there might be, but well. He picked that up from training and one particular revelation.
    Ah OK. Hm. Just making an observation here, but this would probably be a good point to introduce the idea he's Force sensitive him. It strikes me there isn't a lot of point to doing it before hand, and not a lot to inform the idea. Its a good point to start a character arc, with the discovery that everything about himself is not what he thought it was. The other way around doesn't really add much to the character beyond 'look how arbitrarily awesome I am compared to canon'.
    Your not really helping your argument that 'but Obi-Wan would have trained him anyways!' as a reason not to have him in the plot.

But any ways, as for limits on Force ghosts... there aren't any official ones to the best of my knowledge. There's probably all kinds of EU ones that contradict the shit out of each other, and then got thrown out when it turns out it was a mostly lost technique that takes from fairly specific knowledge sources to pull off instead of a thing all Masters could do. Though being the Chosen One seems to let you do it as well.*Shrugs.* Bottom line, there are no limits I would take as canonical in the sense that 'everyone generally follows these'.

This is very much plot device area, but canon wise, two things are certain: Obi-Wan vowed to look after Luke, and he knew the technique. The logical extension of that is he uses the technique to stick around and help Luke after death- which is exactly what he did in canon, so its hard to say he wouldn't. You can make a much better argument as to how well Luke can perceive him without any training, but then you run into issues with your self training thing.

Overall, I'd say the fastest way to keep Obi-Wan mostly out of the backstory- assuming you don't go with 'Luke can't hear him'- is to have Luke reject him at some point in the past. He'd still be around and lurking, but he wouldn't be an active presence.
    I was thinking more 'group of mercenaries go in and steal an ISD, and sudden lack of backup from a larger infrastructure means the smaller factions can't do much about it'. The Hutt's also do have their own shipyards and fleet, in addition to what they routinely buy from MandalMotors and Ubrikkan.

Remember the Hutts are way the hell out on the Rim, and off the major trade routes. And the fact the warlords are going to be looking at each other as their biggest threats, which means detaching major warships to help one guy out on the Rim is unlikely to happen, much less continued 'lets go Hutt hunting', particularly since shields that can stop ISD grade orbital bombardment are not uncommon in Wars- see Hoth.

And this isn't going into what happens to those shipyards if the Hutts go full bore economic warfare- namely, providing pirates with a place to sell any and all Imperial loot- which is quite honestly the most destructive thing they could do, because it blows out a lot of supply lines and makes Wars existing pirate problems considerably worse.

Honestly, I'm mostly just looking for more fallout then 'and the Hutts are getting shot up, but it made Luke more badass, so its all good'.

17. Puzzle

Puzzle

Perhaps, but either way it was apparently almost effortless. I think Luke would have cause to notice his abilities being more than normal over a career.

I think if Obi-wan was alive he'd try to train Luke. I don't think his force ghost could do it, and since I don't want a trained Luke, Obi-wan is dead. Obi-Wan is an interesting character and I quite like him, but he's not going to be there in my current story.
    I disagree I'm making Luke more badass, in canon he was certainly badass enough. Here he's just focused on a different path than then. Regarding the Hutts, they're certainly powerful, but they managed to get the Imperials pissed off at them leading to Jabba getting shelled. They're not all dead, Jabba might not even be dead, they're not being stomped, it's just that their economic power means less when corrupt officials get purged and ISDs are blowing things up without even pretending to care about legalities.

18. Keep in mind this is verse with people like Cad Bane, Wedge, and Baron Soontir Fel in it. Oh, and I should probably toss Boba Fett and Thrawn in as well. More then normal is... sketchy at the major character level for Star Wars.

I'll also note 'easy with a teacher' is a drastically different statement then 'easy to figure out yourself'.
    Forgive me for misinterpreting you then, but in a lot of ways that's what it's coming across like. Going hyperbolic for a moment, what you've described is basically 'one man army Wraith Squadron mercenary Luke Skywalker, who needs no teacher to master the Force unlike basically everyone else in canon'. Its a bit much, IMHO, particularly since you've basically gone out of your way to cut off his personal reasons to know about/be interested in the Force. Especially given prior to Obi-Wan, he was gear head: I'd honestly expect him to go gadgets and droid based as far as edges go long before the Force ever comes up.

Overall, it doesn't really feel like a logical or thematic extension of who he might be at the start of the story, or particularly well fitting with canon, where mentorship has been a massive part of the Force for basically all traditions. Charitably, it reads as 'he's Luke, so he needs to use the Force' and uncharitable it reads like 'he's just that badass' on the limited info I have. And, going purely on what you have said so far, it seems that his real instruction/gaining power in the Force happens after he gets the Holocron. Which makes it come off as unnecessary, and only tacked on to make him seem... more, as opposed to serving as part of the story.

That's basically where my perceptions are at for the moment. Hope it helps.
    Why just the corrupt officials? If anything, they're more likely to survive via flexible loyalties. Like, purges are seldom about efficiency with a government like the Empire, and everything to do with loyalty and politics, particularly in times of political instability.

Leaving aside that though, my issue with the Hutts thing is less they're getting shot at- lord knows they've pissed enough people off that it's not implausible- or even that their losing. My issue is what's the fallout of this. To which your answer is 'pissed off Luke Skywalker' and a kinda of brush off of everything else I bring up with a vague 'but their still in it despite all indications pointing to them losing horribly, don't worry' which just feels... shallow. Particularly since you've dropped more then a few hints that Luke is neck deep in the shadier side of the Galaxy, and the Hutts are a big part of that. It also ties into 'why didn't someone do this before now' to which the answer is generally 'the fallout would be devastating', so it would be nice to see that as opposed to brushing it off.

19. Puzzle

Puzzle

For most of your other disagreements, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree, although if I ever end up writing this I'd appreciate your feedback then.

As to the Hutts, there'd be chaos and misery from their retaliation, it just wouldn't be the focus of the story. The Star Wars galaxy is enormous, Luke's only exposure to the Hutt crisis at least to start would be his family dying as collateral. Granted that's pretty major, but he'd be focused on the Imperials. It's impossible to show all of the conflicts going on, so an offhand mention that the Hutts and Imperial factions are trading blows and that the Hutts appear to be getting the worst of it on a superficial level could be the extent of it.

20. Star Wars Insurgency

For the crew Imperial Star Destroyer Dauntless, life couldn't more mundane. Relegated to hunting down smugglers and slavers in the depths of space, just about everyone has given up on any hope for action.

But when the Rebellion launches a massive attack aimed at the Mid-Rim, the Imperial military rushes to stop them, with the Dauntless sent to help stop as the bleeding. Forced into combat, this inexperienced crew takes on the Rebellion across multiple worlds. As the war begins to take its toll and tensions start flaring, one question begins to take up everyone's mind:

Is this Empire truly worth saving?

So I've had this in my head for awhile, inspired by books such as Matterhorn and Black Hawk Down. What I really want to do is explore the Galactic Civil War in a way that was realistic and gritty without it being grimdark.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  21. Lunatic350

Lunatic350 Yub, yub, Commander.

Nope.

That was a pretty easy question.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  22. Well from the Perspective of an Imperial soldier who's been raised on propaganda for years, it's a hard question to answer. Though I'm not arguing that Empire should be saved, just that the discussion should be included. Personally, don't think it should be saved, reformed maybe but not saved.

• Like Like x 2
    • Insightful Insightful x 2
  23. I assume the question is rhetorical and am now moving on to 'in which Kylar geeks the hell out about ships'.

First off, how big of a cast are you thinking? Keep in mind your iconic Star Destroyer (the Imperial I-class for in verse terminology) is a big ship, and is more comparable to an aircraft carrier then anything- albeit one with enough armor and weapons to operate on its own. Which means less 'border patrol' and more 'showing the flag and annihilating pirate fleets'. Standard crew compliment is 37,085 officers, pilots, and enlisted crew, 72 fighters, and an additional 9,700 ground troops. Or in other words, there are cities with less population.

If your after something less sizable, there's a fair bevy of smaller ships liable to be tapped for boring border patrol with a less then competent crew with the ISD outline, and even more if your willing to step away from that. I can toss up names if you want.

• Insightful Insightful x 4
  24. Just so long as you avoid all the wankery that made Hull 721 such a poisonous read.

25. For cast size, I'm planning at least two main characters with the possibility of a third. Each interacts with a at least a few side characters.

Thanks for reminding me on the Star Destroyer issue. Now that I think about it, maybe a Victory Star Destroyer or Gladiator class ship would be better suited.
    I saw that on the Star Wars fanfic recommendations on Tv tropes. Was it that bad?

• Like Like x 1
Sufficient Velocity Internal Ad System Staff