1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Megathread The First 100 Days: Trump Administration

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Zephyrus, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect What is Project Zohar? Director

I feel like if you don't take this opportunity to change your tagline to 'the only news the president fears' you're really missing out

• Like Like x 32
    • Insightful Insightful x 9
    • Meow Meow x 2
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
  2. confusopoly

confusopoly Metaphor Overextended. Ow.

Time for the big news agencies to get themselves expelled en masse and only report on the government via informants and leaks for a month or so. They'll beg them to come back into a press conference after that :p

• Like Like x 4
  3. Mithras

Mithras Misanthrope

The problem is, it could lead to an angry EU right next door...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Athene

Athene IT'S TIME FOR PIRACY

You keep using that incorrectly, so please stop trying to use it.

• Like Like x 24
  5. MJ12 Commando

MJ12 Commando Shadow Cabal Barristerminator

I'm mostly annoyed because the media should be backing each other up when their entire field is under attack, not sniping at each other. CNN could have defended itself perfectly fine by just saying that it reported on confirmed facts (such as the existence of the report, and how it was being taken seriously by the intelligence community) from reliable sources without mentioning Buzzfeed once.

• Like Like x 22
  6. Mithras

Mithras Misanthrope

I thought we were the Popular Front.

As I said a while back to @Memphet'ran : the Right only win because the left are too busy arguing drawing daggers and dying in a gurgling rush of blood.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. Dangerman

Dangerman I'm gonna make you, I'm gonna break you

• Like Like x 5
  8. foamy

foamy Lying liar who lies. Executive Director

That is like completely not what happened. CNN's reporting was "intelligence officials are meeting with Trump to discuss a dossier about alleged ties to Russia" and Buzzfeed was "here's the text of that dossier, with highlighted golden showers". These are substantially different things, which is why CNN was able to go "dare you to find something wrong in what we said", and I'm actually fully on-board with CNN also going "WTF, did you mix us up?".

I mean these things were literally posted directly in this thread! Some days I think SV members have the memories of goldfish.

• Like Like x 34
    • Insightful Insightful x 4
  9. Yesterday to be precise only a few pages back in this thread.

10. Hmm, a Visegard Pact is more likely, they are getting the weapons not Germany or France.

I suppose that Russia supporting Trump for the purpose of weakening America makes sense but its a rather risky and desperate move, a confident polity would never shake up the board in this manner, Putin must really be feeling the pinch. Regardless it looks like the little Cold War is going to go full swing as Russia is now linked with the Trump administration for good.

• Insightful Insightful x 2
  11. MJ12 Commando

Anyways, in terms of consequences from this, I think the most realistic attainable ideal is that it creates a fundamental, irreconcilable split between the Russia-hawks in the Republicans and the Trumpsters by never being disproven to any standard, or circumstantial evidence suggesting that some of it might be true coming to light. This would put the Senate Democrats in the position to act basically as power-brokers, because then none of the Republicans would be able to act without the Democrats' support, especially the Russia-hawks, who would probably need a 2/3rds majority because they're going to be fighting Trump's veto. It would also mean this could dog Trump for years, quietly poisoning the Republican party, doubly if they start hinting that such an infamously unpopular president needs to step aside for a different candidate, because can you imagine Trump's reaction to that? Remember, there's indications that Trump's honeymoon is over. Normally presidents manage to at least get into office before that, but the latest poll shows that his favorability and popularity are back to their pre-election levels, although not to their post-pussygate nadir. Yet.

I don't think impeachment is actually likely based on something as vague as this but that might be a good thing, because Pence might be personally untouchable, more or less-but his policies are at least as awful. A shattered Republican party and an immensely unpopular president whose every action is suspicious due to the specters of Russia haunting him is probably the most likely way we'd get through these 4 years with no rollbacks on Obama's legacy.

• Like Like x 24
    • Insightful Insightful x 7
    • Hugs Hugs x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Mithras

Mithras Misanthrope

From what you know, what would be the closest to "cast iron" grounds for Impeaching Trump, if it comes to it?

13. MJ12 Commando

If you wanted to impeach Trump you'd probably do it on the Emoluments clause, which is something that both Obama and Bush's ethics lawyers agree he's in blatant violation of.

Honestly if I was Schumer and it came to Trump becoming so unpopular that the Rs are trying to throw him under the bus I might want to hope said bus-throwing fails, especially because of just how mad and petty Trump might become to spite the guys who tried it.

Again, the ideal situation for the Democrats in 2018 and 2020 is probably a terminal breakdown in relations and open warfare between the anti-Trump and pro-Trump Republicans, Trump being immensely tainted and unpopular (but still in power) and nobody being able to do anything without convincing the Democrats as a whole, at which point they can demand concessions. The earlier there's any such terminal breakdown the better.

• Like Like x 13
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. Mithras

Mithras Misanthrope

Looking at Anglo American constitutional crises, a lot of the mechanisms seem to be "Pray they are never used"

• Like Like x 5
  15. Yeangst

Yeangst

To me, the golden shower thing is like learning 5 or 6 years back that Rex Ryan has a foot fetish. Did literally nothing* to change my opinion of the guy, but it was fodder for some chuckleworthy puns.
    The other stuff is much more disturbing and I see nothing wrong with Buzzfeed publishing it, even if they did highlight the most sensational and least important part of it. This dossier has apparently been floating around among Congress, the Intelligence Community, and other DC insiders for weeks or even months. Harry Reid apparently was talking about these allegations when he blasted Comey before the election. Why should any journalists sit on it?

*yes, filming yourself fondling your wife's feet isn't nearly on the same level as having multiple people pee on a bed the POTUS slept on out of spite. But already had a very low opinion of Trump, and this didn't move the needle.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Vaermina

Vaermina

The article itself is kind of schizophrenic.

On one hand they literally go out of their way to say "we won't report on details of the memo's". But then they link to Buzzfeed's article on them and spend the rest of the article trying to convince people they are accurate.

17. The thing is, you can't blackmail someone over a foot fetish. If Trump was open about this (if he actually did it) I would not mind really.

18. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower Ex-cultist vagrant

Don't forget, though; no matter what he does he'll still have his Wilford Brimley limit supporters, aka "core Republican primary voters for a decent number of congresscritters".

Meaning, if and when he gets impeached, unless he's been in office long enough to cause meaningful economic harm to even the already-poverty-stricken areas, the impeachment will further drive a stake through the heart of the Republican party as the core 25-40% of the party that still supports him (and goes on to martyr him and believe he'd have solved all problems if they didn't impeach him when they did) swears to never forgive the rest.

• Like Like x 7
  19. Yeangst

Yeangst

How are you going to blackmail Donald Trump? Tell everyone that he regularly commits sexual assault, or has, at best, a reckless disregard for the concept of consent? That his charitable activities are frauds? That his 'University' was a fraud above and beyond how for-profit universities are usually frauds? That he regularly stiff contractors working for him? That his 'comeback' in Atlantic City was done by write off the losses on a bunch of dupes, aka his shareholders?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower Ex-cultist vagrant

Threaten to release whatever it is in his tax returns that has him so terrified of the public seeing them.

• Insightful Insightful x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Reading David Brooks's editorial "Bannon Vs. Trump" in the New York Times yesterday really reminded me of my idea that we're seeing the opening of the central global conflict of the twenty-first century, and it's going to be liberalism vs. a nebulous hydra-like global anti-WEIRD movement:

It also had some bits that reminded me of the thought I had that we may actually have dodged a bullet here:
    If I wanted to de-WEIRDify America and was picking someone to lead the charge, Donald Trump would not be the leader I'd want. This could have been a lot worse.

• Like Like x 8
  22. the atom

the atom SV's Resident Bad Boy

I don't really see how. I mean, there are worse dudes you could have in his place, but none of them were ever remotely viable candidates.

• Insightful Insightful x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  23. So looking on Facebook it seems that Trump supporters are defending him two different ways.

1) The reporter was speaking out of turn and was being rude. Of course Trump had to shut him down because he hates rude people.
    2) Screaming that CNN is fake news and how we've always been at war with Eeastasia.

• Hugs Hugs x 14
  24. We could have gotten a charismatic, intelligent, and deeply committed far-right true believer with better self-discipline and broader appeal. I don't know who that would be, but I'm pretty sure such people are out there. That's the sort of President I'd be really scared of.

• Insightful Insightful x 6
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Insightful Insightful x 1
I just write Internal Ad System Story