1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Comics The General Marvel Thread

Discussion in 'Fiction Discussion' started by Jace911, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Jace911

Jace911 Spider-Dork

I'm not a huge comic book connoisseur, but I have a few titles that I regularly follow and want to share my thoughts on. Since we don't yet have a thread for discussing Marvel comics I thought I'd make one and talk about those titles:

Miss Marvel
    I absolutely adore this series. Kamala Khan is a refreshingly upbeat underdog protagonist and appeals to me in the same way that early Ultimate Spidey did: that sense of a kid trying to find their place in the world resonated really strongly with me in high school, and Kamala's journey as a hero now is plucking those strings again. Another big point of interest for me is her background as a Muslim teen in America; watching her struggle with her beliefs and the culture she's grown up in is a really intriguing perspective to me, as I sadly don't have a lot of Muslim friends. I also love how they don't fall into the post-9/11 trap of painting her religion as some kind of backwards or evil thing that shackles her; it's a part of who she is and informs her entire motivation to become a hero.

Also she teams up with Wolverine at one point and it is the best.

[​IMG]

Amazing Spider-Man
    This series has ranged from "meh" to "r u srs" from start to finish, and I'm not even talking about the upcoming trainwreck of the Spider-Verse event. Between cleaning up the fallout of Superior Spider-Man (Which I was thankfully absent for; might go back and check it out later out of morbid curiosity) and introducing the new character of Cindy Moon/Silk, the whole thing just feels like a mess. Silk's backstory in particular amounts to little more than a massive retcon; "oh surprise, a second person was bit by the spider way back when...and she's literally been in a box the entire time waiting to be unwrapped by Peter". This is not improved by the inclusion of bullshit "spider-pheromones" which she and Peter share, making them increasingly physically attracted to one another when they're in the same place for too long and oh my God I can't believe I just wrote that. If this is the kind of writing we can expect to see in Silk's upcoming series then I think I'll be passing on that one, though I guess there's room for me to be surprised.

I'm sticking around just to see how bad Spider-Verse gets, but after that I think I'm going to be saying goodbye to Peter for a while again.

Spider-Gwen
    (
    Okay this one isn't technically out yet so I'll just be talking about her one-shot in Edge of Spider-Verse)

I love this comic.

It's based off one major continuity change* with huge repercussions: in the very beginning, it's not Peter Parker who is bit by the radioactive spider, but Gwen Stacy. She develops spider-powers just as he did and spends a brief period using her powers for her own gain (As a costumed drummer in a band rather than a wrestler) before tragedy strikes her life: Peter, driven to the edge by constant bullying, gets his hands on the Lizard serum and turns himself into a reptilian monster. Spider-Woman is forced to take him down, and by the end of the fight Peter's body is unable to cope with the effects of the serum and he dies in her arms. "I just wanted to be special...like you." This drives Gwen to take up her webs just like Uncle Ben's death did for Peter in another world, but with the added complication that Spider-Woman is now wanted by the police for the murder of Peter Parker...and in this universe, her father is still Captain of the NYPD.

By the way, this is all the one page recap.

[​IMG]

This gives the comic a huge amount of character material to explore right from the get-go: Spider-Woman's demonization by the press, Gwen's guilt over Peter's death, having to live a double life under the nose of the man who wants to throw you in prison, all on top of the usual webslinging woes of a Spider hero. Yet in spite of this the comic isn't drowning in grimdark misery; in fact Gwen shows a lot of energy and spunk at times ("I just want to be loooooved"), reminiscent of but not quite copying the original Spider-Man. There's also a lot of potential on the plot front as well, as the writer made sure to emphasize that the spider's chosen victim was not the only point of divergence for the series: we got a glimpse of this with Matt Murdoch, who is apparently the Kingpin's lawyer and lackey (No word yet on if he's Daredevil in this world or not) so everything else is totally up in the air.

In short this series has the potential to be another Ultimate Spidey, keeping the core themes of the original story while shedding all the extraneous mass that's built up over the decades, rearranging the furniture, and starting off fresh to explore newer and more contemporary things (Like trigger happy cops, for example). I am extremely excited to see what the first issue brings in February.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 22
  2. Shanejayell

Shanejayell Yuri Fan without a Pause

Considering all the Marvel comments in the General Comics thread, is this even needed?

3. Well, DC did get their own thread.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mental Omega

Mental Omega Shadow Cabal Heir of Hope

If DC gets a thread, so should Marvel.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Does anyone know where the Hulk is?

6. Shanejayell

7. Wasn't he a waiter before this run?

8. Shanejayell

No, he was a pilot and ex-mercenary.

9. I think I remember him opening a restaurant after losing his legs or something similar.

10. Shanejayell

11. Q99

Q99

DC doesn't have a thread. We've been using the General Comics Thread for both.

It even starts with Kamala Khan teaming up with Wolverine!

12. Shanejayell

We probably should just fold the Marvel and DC threads into the General Comics Thread.

This was actually a thing....
    [​IMG]

13. mdkcde

mdkcde "Ah, Kos... some say Kosmog"

*Obligatory "Oh God! what is wrong with her spine?! Does the artist even lift?! Oh the mysogyny!" comment*

• Funny Funny x 6
  14. Mental Omega

Mental Omega Shadow Cabal Heir of Hope

It's not the most spine destroying pose I've ever seen, but comic art can get so much worse.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 17
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Shanejayell

LEFIEEEELD!

*runs away*

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Q99

Q99

17. Ivar

Ivar Dark Reaper

Hello, I would like to ask for help with orientation in the current Marvel. I wanted to know what is happening now and what is worth reading. Well, apart from Ms. Marvel. I have read and I find wonderful comics.

18. Shanejayell

As in....? What's going on, generally? Or just suggest the most readable books?

Moon Knight has been quite good. I just got the latest trade collecting Warren Ellis run, and it's a good read. Very Ellis-y, so if you have a aversion to him, I'd suggest passing on it, but I liked it.

19. Ivar

Ivar Dark Reaper

In general, that is new the crisis crossovers. What now with the Asgard. Dr. Strange, and so on.
    And continue whether X Men descent into the abyss of madness?
    And this, too. Just last I read were old editions Loki Agent of Asgard and Original sins. Just say that comics come in Russia with a delay , if come at all,

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  20. Q99

Q99

Ms. Marvel is great. Captain Marvel and Loki: Agent of Asgard are also good- though with Loki, I recommend reading 'Journey into Mystery' (the kid Loki issues by Kieron Gillen, of course) and Young Avengers (Again, Kieron Gillen) first. Along with Loki, they form a story arc.

She-Hulk is fun lawyer antics. Not always a fan of the art, but it's by Charles Soule. If you see something by Charles Soule? It's gonna be worth picking it up.

Hawkeye is good and critically acclaimed. It's about Clint Barton (Hawkeye!) and Kate Bishop (also Hawkeye. A Young Avenger who took the name while Clint was dead for awhile, and since the two figured there'd be no real confusion, stuck with it). Low-powered stuff, some interesting visual storytelling.

Of the Avengers, I say give most of the titles a miss (they're mostly caught up in some cosmic bruhaha which is going on way too long), but Mighty Avengers, Luke Cage's team, is really fun. The artist isn't the best, but it has good characters and good stories.

Of the current events, Axis is shaping up fairly fun- where a number of heroes and villains get their alignment switched (Hobgoblin goes from renting gear to wannabe villains, to renting gear to wannabe heroes! Carnage becomes a hero, which is terrifying. Magneto forms a team of villains to try and do something about things. Etc.).

Spider-verse, so far mostly consists of likable spiders being killed off by Morlun and his family in various dimensions. Main event hasn't really started yet, but skip that stuff.

• Like Like x 4
  21. mdkcde

mdkcde "Ah, Kos... some say Kosmog"

But Spider-Gwen tho! Oh well, it is going to have a mini series anyway so it doesn't matter.

22. Q99

Q99

Yea. And the first collection of her series is almost certainly going to have the origin story, so, *shrugs*, I got no reason to pick up a Spider-verse title.

23. I've heard that Hulk is depowering other gamma based people for some reason. I've never liked it when depowering is used.

24. Q99

Q99

Yep and agreed.

I really never agreed that 'having a family of similar characters devalues the brand'. Or at least, I have trouble thinking of when it was an actual problem.

Plus one can always shuffle characters around without depowering them. Move them to another city or country or whatever.

• Like Like x 3
Sufficient Velocity Internal Ad System Art