1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

Help! wearing high heels

Discussion in 'Fiction Discussion' started by FBH, Dec 12, 2016.

1. FBH

FBH Write drunk. Edit Hungover

Okay, I'm writing a novel and I need some help:

How much is mobility limited by high heels?

Like, if you were chasing a monster out of a party, would you go barefoot or wear heels?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
  2. Bakustra

Bakustra

It depends on the person, but you can't move very fast in the kind of heels that are fancy dress. So most people would take them off to chase someone, unless they were very particular about wearing heels as a symbolic gesture.

3. Go to a shoe store and find out?

They mess with your gait and massively increase the chance of ankle injury or other mishap. It's not impossible, but it's not desirable. People take those fold-up flats to parties for a reason.

4. Macchiato

Macchiato Grumpy Rabbit Advocate

Lots of factors here including the height and thickness of the heel and how familiar the person is with wearing/walking in heels.

But usually the kind of heels you wear to a party are not even remotely conducive to anything resembling a good chasing speed.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect What is Project Zohar? Director

It depends on how much you want it :V

I don't wear high heels or anything, but they're designed to make your legs look good, not work well. That said there are loads of examples of women in stiletto heels running quite quickly or over long distance or doing soccer juggling routines and so on. Those videos are impressive because wearing any sort of tall heel is a handicap. I can't imagine that a character you'd write would bother with learning to run in stilettos, @FBH, so I think she'd probably take them off (and stash them in her handbag). Running barefoot is normal, after all.

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 5
  6. Kokurokoki

Kokurokoki I am mad!

Is this like modern fantasy or victoria-era fantasy?

It's doable, but in your instance it sorta makes sense since she has to quickly chase it out of a party so she wouldn't have time to change her shoes. You could have her try to chase the monser and then lose it because she wasn't wearing proper foot gear which she makes a passing remark about or something.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Also depends on whether you're in a house or outdoors.

8. FBH

In a large structure. Big high society party.

9. Mhm, so probably carpet and clean floors. I'd go with barefoot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Keep in mind that while its possible to train how to run in high heels it is easier to train how to kick them off at a moments notice. Unless they are literally strapped to your legs, that is.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Depends entirely on the heels. Anything on the chunky end isn't particularly hard to run with even a little practice, whereas stiletto heels can be. Still, again, it's mostly a practice thing.

That said, running around barefoot while chasing a monster is like seven kinds of dumb. But if, as you said, this is a "high society" party the heels are probably not particularly high, so, running in them shouldn't be an issue if the person's practiced.

• Like Like x 2
  12. FTFY.:p

Although it makes me curious, why is she chasing a monster?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. FBH

I'm mostly thinking the likes of this: [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Those would be hard to run in probably less because of the heel and more because they're barely attached to the foot. I imagine it'd be like running in flip flops.

• Like Like x 5
  15. FBH

She's someone who hunts monsters.

Think Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

How hard is it to run barefoot?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. On grass its easy, on pavement you'll be bleeding in half a mile.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. There's actually a Wikipedia article about that ...
    >.>

18. What's the ground made of?

19. FBH

Marble, plush carpet, crappy carpet, and then indoor concrete.

20. Running on stone kind of sucks, the plush carpet would be fine, the crappy carpet might hurt depending on the actual running form used, and indoor concrete will be similar to running on stone.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. Barefoot is better, because you can use your toes do grip the floor.

Now the carpet is the problem, because you will slip barefoot on it.

Concrete is the same as marble, better grip, better speed barefoot than using high heels.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Wouldn't the sensible thing for a monster hunter to do be simply not wear high heels?

• Insightful Insightful x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. Fernandel

Fernandel Lovely Writing, Tendency to Waffle Councillor

If you're planning on doing some fast running and possibly even fighting on hard floor, shoes of any sort are advisable. Sparring barefooted sucks balls. If you're not used to it, walking and running barefooted also hurts.

Admittedly, though, fighting in any sort of heels is probably even worse. :V I cannot even imagine how off everything about the balance you've trained for in flat, even shoes would be.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Well, yes, obviously. But what does that have to do with footwear?:V

25. If she's pursuing someone, it's possible a fighting scene might occur.

JMHthe3rd Internal Ad System Quest