1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

You Can't Fight In Here! The War Room Martial Arts Thread

Discussion in 'History & Military Discussion' started by EricD, Apr 21, 2014.

1. EricD

EricD The Bee-Wolf

For all your punchy, kicky, swordy, mixed or traditional martial arts needs!

To start with, let's check out some Talhoffer wrestling!

I especially like the one where he breaks the guy's grab and turns it into an armlock from 1:48 on.

And for those of us who are more swordy!

• Like Like x 12
  2. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Modern Science will save the world or kill us all

Taking falls on a wood floor, ouch. That can't be fun at all. In my experience even taking falls on a tatami covered gym floor can really suck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. The Last One

The Last One Here because reasons

We did a demonstration performance on bitumen once. Shortly after that, we purchased a new set of mats for the demonstration squad to use.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Simulium Novitius

Simulium Novitius Relaxing After PT

5. inawarminister

inawarminister The face of Muslim Reactionary

What do you guys recommend for a beginner, out-of-shape (though I'm trying to make myself fit) nerd?
    Tbh, I am going to register to the local Silat (whether Sunda, Java, or Betawi) adult chapter, but if there's something else... More efficient, then I would like to know first.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Depends on your goals, really, but the general rule is whatever makes you happy. You're not going to keep coming back to a group if you don't enjoy what you're doing - or the group for that matter. If you're mostly interested in fitness (rather than, say, kicking people's faces in or historical re-enactment), then it's not nearly as important how notionally efficient an art is.

7. Kokurokoki

Kokurokoki I am mad!

Judo.

My 80-year old Sensei can flip 20 year-old guys. And an 8 year-old child at the place where he teaches was throwing guys almost 3 times older than him around like toys.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Kokurokoki

Kokurokoki I am mad!

The number 13 Armbreak was sexy as hell.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Schrodinger's Cat

You have all my sympathy. That must have been terrible.

10. The Last One

The Last One Here because reasons

If you're trying for fitness, definitely just pick what you enjoy the most and are most likely to attend regularly.

Yeah, it wasn't a great experience. We'd actually had quite a few takedowns and acrobatic kicks practised for the performance that just had to be replaced on the fly with whatever we could still do.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hmm. Well, I do need more exercise...

Anyone know about any polearm-focused styles or training groups that might be found in the Nordic region? Specifically Copenhagen, but I can't exactly expect you to know about the local scene. :p

12. If you're looking for efficiency, its hard to go wrong with Krav Maga or Muay Thai (assuming you can find a legitimate and serious teacher).

13. Schrodinger's Cat

Just curious, is there a martial artist that really inspires you?

For me, I'm really inspired by Isao Okano. He's considered one of the most talented Judoka to ever live, and considered the best ever by some people. Competitively he's known for being the smallest person to ever win the open weight All Japan Judo Championship, twice, and for winning the middle-weight division gold at the 1964 Olympics. More importantly, he's known for being an incredible teacher who went out of his way to invite people from all over the world to his dojo and to encourage an exchange of ideas.

I've tried to mimic his technique in the past. It really is amazingly good and always done with full commitment, even during a demonstration. He's also just as good on the ground as he is at his throws.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Inspiring martial artists? After 12 years in karate, there are so many names... Gichin Funakoshi, Morio Higaonna, that fifth Dan at my dojo who's terrifyingly good and makes the 8th Dan that much more impressive...

But I have to say that Masutatsu Oyama is the one I find the most inspiring. He founded Kyokushin karate (which my shih an studied and therefore I study a variant of) and is an example of a man who held honor in high esteem and whose skill was (in my opinion) unmatched. He established Kyokushin as a full-contact style concerned with practicality. My style kept the idea of concentrating on practicality so obviously I respect Mas Oyama's approach quite a bit.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Chronologist

Chronologist Cavalry's queer!

Does Olympic fencing count? That's really all I'm doing these days.

• Like Like x 3
  16. EricD

EricD The Bee-Wolf

Most inspiring martial artist? Well as a HEMA devotee, I could say Talhoffer or Fiore or any of those great writers of the treatises, or I could say Guy Windsor or Ilkka Hartikainen or any of the modern revivalists doing such excellent work in reconstructing the martial arts of the medieval European world. Personally, however, I have always had the deepest respect and administration for Bruce Lee.

• Like Like x 3
  17. I don't see any reason why Olympic fencing wouldn't count as a martial art the same way as Olympic judo and tkd (and hopefully karate soon). Obviously because all these are Olympic sports, they aren't exactly geared towards street self defense, but they all still serve as an important part of preserving and promoting the martial way and spirit.

• Like Like x 3
  18. This looks a lot cooler and more interesting than how western swordfighting techniques are usually depicted in media. :cool::(

• Like Like x 3
  19. Kokurokoki

Kokurokoki I am mad!

I think that's because people tend to get wrapped up into the assumption that Asians and Europeans are two entirely different species. Asians need to have all these mystical sword techniques and buddha-palm strikes, whereas Europeans need to be dirty and grimy and fight swinging their heavy swords blindly.

If you look at all the actual martial arts used by soldiers, many of their techniques are very similar. The only difference is in the philosophy behind the application. After all, to parrot Bruce Lee and other martial artists, unless we suddenly grow an extra arm or leg, all human beings are essentially the same and will be vulnerable to the same techniques. It would be stupid not to use movements that maximize economy of motion, and it just so happens that all over the world, practitioners came to the same conclusion because the human body works the same way no matter where you live or where you're from.

True. But there's a difference between a world-renowned black-belt practitioner, and a bouncer who regularly breaks up fights at a local club. Or a hardened veteran soldier who has had to use his close combat skills in the urban warzone. Sure, the black belt would most likely straight up mop the floor with the soldier and bouncer in a competitive match, but they would most likely not fare as well in the street or battlefield. It all depends on how you train yourself. All three are equally good, but they each train for different situations and environments.

• Like Like x 5
  20. OK, as someone who studies an art that does focus on street practicality, I have to disagree. As a black belt, I think I would fare just as well, if not better, than a bouncer in a street fight. In the case of a soldier, the soldier likely would function better because they deal with much more weaponry and conflicts end much more...lethally on a battlefield than they would normally in the street. However, a seasoned martial artist, who has focused on practical application, will likely win any hand to hand or hand to short range weapon (as in a knife, bat, etc) altercation that they find themselves in. I know you're not meaning to attack martial artists or the arts themselves, I'm just pointing out that martial arts were created to be used in the street and on battlefields and are no less effective today than they used to be. Many martial arts, like mine, have adapted while still preserving their traditional foundation.

Also, most people forget, because they've seen movies like Karate Kid and Enter the Dragon, that martial arts weren't meant to be competitive. They weren't designed as a way to see who was better at fighting, they were designed to help people, who couldn't (legally or otherwise) use or didn't have a weapon, defend themselves. They were a way of making sure you survived.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Martial artists who inspired me...

Antonio Rodrigo "Minatauro" Nogueira is a big one. In my entirely unbiased objective opinion, he's the best submission artist in mixed martial arts.

It wasn't that he was a super athlete or was doing crazy moves no one else knew...Rodrigo used the basic armbar, triangle choke, and kimura lock set ups everyone learns in their first month, but there were several things that set him apart.

Firstly, he was incredibly skilled at chaining his moves together. Defend an armlock, he flowed into a choke, counter that choke, he'd go for a shoulder lock. Pull your shoulder out, he'd go right back to the same armlock he began with.

Secondly...he had confidence in his jiu jitsu. Whether it was the opening minutes of the first round or the closing minutes of the third, he was going for the other guy's arm and neck with the full intention of grabbing it and submitting him.

And he wasn't going up against scrubs either. Rodrigo was small for a MMA heavyweight (220-230) and was positively dwarfed by opponents like K-1 superstars Bob Sapp (6'4 380 no body fat!) and Sammy Schilt (6'11). Both of whom he finished with submission holds.

And those are only two names on a win streak that reads like a who's who of MMA elites, including:

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filpovich.
    Randy Couture.
    Dan Henderson.
    Heath Herring.
    Josh Barnett.

Even the current number one contender for the UFC heavyweight title, Fabricio Werdum, has an L on his record thanks to Minatauro.

And he is also the only man in history to have held both the PRIDE and UFC heavyweight titles.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Kensai

Kensai He ain't heavy, he's my cub

I'm inspired by Marc MacYoung.

He's a teeny little potbellied wolverine of a man. He can have the smile of a cherub one moment and the snarl of a wolf the next. Some people talk street self-defence; he's lived it. The man's taken countless knives away from people with murder in their hearts, and stared down the barrel of a pistol so many times he can compose a self-defence plea while doing it. He was a Bad Person and he turned his life around and fights on the side of the angels teaches the angels how to fight like demons.

I'm twenty years younger than him, a head taller and about thirty pounds heavier, with more muscle proportionally. I'm a decent martial artist. I play with blades and knives all the time. And if I had a knife in my hand, standing behind him, ready to attack, and he was unarmed... I'd have about three seconds to live.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. EricD

EricD The Bee-Wolf

Trust me, Hollywood hasn't even begun to tap into all the cinematic potential of historically accurate medieval and Renaissance European martial arts. Not just swordsmanship, but martial arts in general.

• Like Like x 6
  24. Schrodinger's Cat

The Duellists seems pretty good about depicted sword duels in a semi-realistic fashion. I haven't watched the actual movie, but the clips on Youtube are pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Kensai

Kensai He ain't heavy, he's my cub

The Duellists has some of the best fight scenes on celluloid, yes.

• Like Like x 1
Ultra Sonic 007 Internal Ad System Story