1. Hey, Guest,

Do you think you're halfway handy at making logo? If so, we want to hear from you. Please take a look at this thread to consider taking part in a design contest for our affiliated businesses.

-The Directors

Dismiss Notice

You Can't Fight In Here! The War Room Martial Arts Thread

Discussion in 'History & Military Discussion' started by EricD, Apr 21, 2014.

1. locki

locki Aspiring Jaeger Pilot

Confidence.

When shit is hitting the fan you can tell they are in control in the way only someone who has seen it before can be.

Balance and smoothness too. This mostly disappears from the inexperienced as soon as they get nervous or anxious. Rank novices tends to react in one of two ways. They go into their shell or they over compensate and start blustering.

An experienced fighter is fierce but also calm and in control.

2. Just finished reading Rory Miller's Meditations on Violence.

I need a bit to digest and mull things over, but my initial impression is that it starts strong and has a lot of good information, but towards the end it becomes more about Rory Miller pondering things in general than the specifics of violence.

Not that Mr. Miller pondering things in general isn't interesting to read about, but I was more interested in what he had to say about violent altercations in particular.

3. Simulium Novitius

Simulium Novitius Relaxing After PT

Well, I figured now that people know I am joining the Marine Corps, I should post my improvement and ask for advice in both workouts and for advice on where to learn how to fight.

When I started training at the recruitment center, I didn't do too well.

It was four years since I one shot a guy across the jaw, and lived a nice, quiet life for the most part since then, just dealing with the occational attempt at mugging once every three or four months.

I naturally slipped up, thinking I was still pretty strong and fit. Nope. I was at a fraction of what I was, I wasn't fat but I was rusty as all fuck.

When I got tired of how easy things were, I walked into the recruitment center, and they put me to the test.

My mind was still sharp, not as sharp, but still enough to impress them. But my body....uggh. I am still recovering.

My mile and a half run was 12:45. Less then two weeks ago it was 10:23. Now it's 10:06. Crunches were 43. Now 75. Pull ups were at two, now I am at six.

I weigh roughly the same, but I now have notable muscles, replacing that fat that was building up with nice muscle.

Stats are 6'0" (feet) and around 195 pounds. Flexibility is not good with legs, but great with arms. Reflexes are not as good as they used to be.

I am being concidered for Guide, the leader of the Poolees if I can get my pull ups to 17 in the next month or two and my crunches and run time continue to improve at my current pace.

Right now I am a shoe in for Squad Leader of the Third Squad, so basicly fourth place. I want more, to improve more.

Any workout advice will be great, I know we got some pretty awesome guys here.

Anyway, now for the main event.

Fighting.

My Staff Sargent is a Hand to hand combat trainer in the Marine Corps, and he is not allowed to teach us anything more then the bare basics.

I still want a foundation to work off of, and my light history of Boxing and brawling isn't going to cut it.

I have until January, and can spare every Tuesday and maybe Thursday for this, what do you suggest now that you know my physical capabilities?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  4. BlackHadou

BlackHadou A Brand New PosiBunny!

Pick a form of kung fu. Bonus points if its one that the instructor already integrates another style into. Regardless, work on that flexibility if you intend to be doing any sort of hand to hand. Grappling isn't something that's easily avoided.

Not to plug some stuff I've previously done, but you can't really go entirely wrong with Jeet Kune Do and Brazilian Jiujitsu, especially the latter. Just be aware that even your average dedicated adherent will likely never reach anything considered genuine mastery.

Boxing is too limited and brawling is honestly terrible for any sort of trained combat form. Find some sort of martial art, even if its just a mixed martial art/kickboxing blend. I don't really know your area, so I can't give more recommendations then that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just got back from my first HEMA lesson. German Longsword system. It was a massive blast, can't wait for next week.

On the other hand, I need to buy my own hand protection ASAP. They loaned me a mask and waster, but didn't have any spare gauntlets. Even at the incredibly relaxed speed of the drills/sparring, even with wasters, my right hand got clipped good a few times.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pale Wolf

Pale Wolf For Spite And Profit! Magistrate

You do.

Yes. Yes you do.

/voiceofexperience

Gloves are good in general, hand hits are common, but if you go into full-out free play oh god you need gloves.

At least I can bend my finger again. And this was with me wearing full-out lacrosse gloves.

Gloves are basically the one item you need most in HEMA.

7. The Last One

The Last One Here because reasons

Yep, this. There are some nice sets out there but if you're tight on money, a reasonable set of gardening gloves will do the trick.

8. Pale Wolf

At least for light practice. If you're going into free play you're gonna need much more solid protection - though it should be a good while before you go into free play.

9. Nah, I've already placed an order for Red Dragon gloves. I'm not inclined to half-arse it when it comes to my hands.

Even just the exchanges going through some basic drills in my first lesson gave me some bruises on my right thumb.

I had a discussion with the instructor about protective gear and he told me that at least for a mask and gloves, I should get them as soon as possible. Body protection he dismissed as not being critical yet, though if I wanted to grab them already he said to go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pale Wolf

Yeah, body protection can mostly wait until free play's a thing. Your own sword can wait a while too (most groups will have a rack of swords for use).

But gloves and mask are absolutely vital, and if your group doesn't have enough spare to loan out to everyone, you're gonna need your own.

11. I intend to pick up gloves, a mask and a longsword waster immediately. They have spare masks and swords for use during class, but I'd like my own, and in the case of a longsword it would be nice to be able to practice strikes and guards in my free time.

12. Pale Wolf

It absolutely is, yeah. Should be on your list of things to get, just, it's more on the 'nice to have' than the 'seriously you'll get injured without it' list.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BlackHadou

Prioritise to your training. That includes extra protection for injuries you get regularly. A sword is nice, your health is nicer.

14. Yeah. I just figure, I have the money now, I already want it, and there's no significant reason to wait.

Is that not what I'm doing? I'm getting the protective gear I'm likely to need.

15. BlackHadou

It also means things like braces and such for if you straining yourself. Just be careful, i know several people personally who caused themselves serious harm using bare minimum protection.

16. EricD

EricD The Bee-Wolf

From my own experience, I would say that gardening gloves are not adequate. In my HEMA club, we mostly use lacrosse and hockey gloves from sparring, although some people are getting into more dedicated gloves from suppliers like SPES. I would say that hockey gloves are really the minimum for freeplay.

17. The Last One

The Last One Here because reasons

I was working more on the assumption they would still be doing drills for a while yet. Leather gardening gloves worked pretty well for me at that early stage, without spending too much on sport I was just starting out with. Admittedly, the big hilts on rapiers we used helped here.

18. EricD

EricD The Bee-Wolf

Alright yeah, with rapier I think a heavy leather glove such as a work glove might work, although it may not offer much in the way of finger dexterity (And admittedly neither do hockey gloves).

My own experience is informed by two things.

1. My group principally practices the longsword
    2. We spar a LOT. Pretty much every training session has sparring, and we like to get our new people into sparring as early as possible.

19. merino

merino marimo

There should be no need for a protective glove in rapier, since the hilt more than adequately protects the hand and the wrist (or arm) is not a proper target. I used to like wearing a golf glove for a bit of extra grip because of how thin the leather was. Anything more would've been cumbersome. For free fencing a mask and a padded vest with a fencing jacket were sufficient, because only the torso and head were targets.

I don't know what gardening gloves are, but considering even gauntlets don't offer complete protection, I wouldn't settle for less in anything where heavy blows on the hands are a possibility.

• Informative Informative x 4
  20. Starting sword and buckler next week, the source material being I.33.

Any practitioners here have general recommendations of what to watch out for or avoid doing?

• Like Like x 1
  21. So I'm about to attend my first session at the Schola Gladiatoria this week and it is rapidly dawning on me that I am woefully unprepared. If I may, I'd like to ask the thread for a few tips on how best to comport myself during the session, or indeed for any wisdom which may help me screw up less.

Thank you in advance, although I fear I shall make a dreadful ass of myself in some way.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  22. Kensai

Kensai He ain't heavy, he's my cub

They're nice people. Just show up ready to learn and give the best of yourself, and be respectful, attentive and alert. The rest will take care of itself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. Will do! Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Would it be importunate of me to pop back in here fairly regularly and ask lots of questions of people? I have trouble understanding practical/physical things so I tend to need to inquire about damn near anything, even the simplest stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
  24. Kensai

Kensai He ain't heavy, he's my cub

Don't see why that would be a problem. Ask away.

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. Got back from my first session, what a ride! Liechtenauer as taught a brilliant fellow named Jack, lots of drill and plenty of basic principles to work on and chew over. Gloves and mask on order because even nylon is a hazard, and boy oh boy do I need to work on my physical conditioning...

Speaking of working on the basics, how does one effectively and efficiently drill on one's own? I currently have no one else to work with, and until I can wrangle someone in to fill the position, or else attach myself to another practitioner, I'm at a loss on where edit: and how to start, as a lot of what was taught in today's session came in the form of drills that required two or more people.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
Snowfire Internal Ad System Quest